Blessing super delux Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by P Goldup, Jun 8, 2009.

1. P Goldup

P Goldup New Friend

May 23, 2009
    I am looking for any one with info on a Super Delux Blessing Co. Elkhart ind. long Cornet serial number 93983 which I bought a week or two ago. Very well made but need some work on the finish. Any help appreciated.
    Peter Goldup:thumbsup:

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Welcome to the forum. E.K. Blessing Here is the Blessing website where you can get more info on the company, which still makes instruments in Elkart, though seemingly not cornets anymore. Your's dates from 1960. E. K. Blessing Band Instrument Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is an interesting Wiki history of the company.
    I am not familiar with that particular model, but expect it to be a good quality cornet.
    http://www.horn-u-copia.net/books/Blessing_cat.pdf Here is an undated Blessing catalog pdf from Horn-u-copia which doesn't list the Super Deluxe as a model.
    Hope this helps some.

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    MFFan,

Blessing still makes cornets. It doesn't show the Blessing Artist cornets, so I'm not sure if they make that model or only make them every so often. I believe Blessing's current offering of cornets are shown on at the end of the illustrated trumpet section. Finish problems of older horns probably will have to be done by Anderson Plating in Elkhart or plating firms around the country.

Current line of cornets shown on these links:

http://www.ekblessing.com/instruments/categories/intermediate-brasswinds

http://www.ekblessing.com/instruments/categories/student-brasswinds

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Peter,

I would suspect Blessing may not do refinishing for you, but will either indicate that to you or give referrals from the Elkhart area or around the country. Anderson Plating in Elkhart has a wonderful reputation, but make sure your instrument is what you want it to look like (dent removal, etc.) before plating and it will come back looking wonderful.

I believe the Super Deluxe and Artist models are very good instruments.

I own a Blessing Artist B-141 Short Cornet (shepherd's crook) is silverplate which I prize. It is a very good instrument, but the model is not currently offered. Quality all the way!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Thanks, Lloyd, I didn't look that far into the trumpet line.:-(

6. P Goldup

P Goldup New Friend

May 23, 2009
    Thanks to all of you for your help in this matter. At least I have cleared up the time of manufacture. Now for a mouthpiece to suite it. I am having a Rick Baptist mouthpiece modified it is in the mail they "Mak. " tell me and ifthat worksfor my trumpet we will put a cornet shank on one the same. I know not the purist approach, but the practical starting point. The Rick baptist modified alittle is the closest mouth piece to my Selmer special 5 double cup that I use on my trumpet. A Besson sovereign a lovely sounding instrument. Peter Goldup

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    If it works, don't fix it!