blindfold test

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Jun 7, 2005.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Is the second horn the one you used on the Haydn?

ML

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

Heh, heh! Pretty tricky!

I used the Special Edition Phaeton on the Haydn ("a B-flat trumpet!" he says defensively...).

Now, folks, if you're reading this, don't read on if you want to take the blindfold test!

OK, on the blindfold test, I used the GSC first then the Pheaton second on the Charlier and It Might As Well Be Spring. On the Shorty Rogers lick, well, I'm gonna keep that quiet till I relinquish the horn!

Heh, heh!

Mr. Laureano, I really appreciate your comments! As a legit player I am a dilletente and any chance to learn is something I relish. Anyone who can earn and retain the princiapl chair in a major orchestra has accomplished more than I can imagine.

As to the two horns, they're both really nice. I do have a preferance, but the differences are subtle. I'll be concluding my contribution to the NYTC Special Edition tour tomorrow. I think it fitting that I leave it till then.

As per your PM, I'm going to record the Haydn as a demo project next week. I'm going to use my E-flat. I'll try to leave more meat in the tonguing, though I was a big Mendez fan as akid, and I modeled all of my double tonguing after his. He used a pretty pointed attack. In fact, when I was on Maynard's band, we were asked top play cadenzas on the intro to MF's Pagliacci. I always put big long strings and scales and old qutoes from Mendez tunes wit lots of double tonguing. The Fox used to call me the "Tu-Ku-Tu-Ku" man (as well as studio man, a dubios nick name Alan Wise managed to stick to me!).

So, I don't mean to brucs you off, here! I'll PM you. ;-)

Nick

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Re: Heh, heh! Pretty tricky!

It's the same order on the last lick too right?

Keep the Phaeton, it sounds better. I don't understand why anyone said they liked the 1st horn on any of the licks.