blister from too much pressure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Nov 22, 2010.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I was recently practicing a piece that required a lot of higher register notes with triplets and noticed that I had a blister on my lips... not sure the best way to describe it, but more like a temporary blister that formed from too much pressure (I assume) and then went away after a few minutes. I searched the forum for blister related stuff but it seemed more likely to show things about people with fever blisters versus what I am talking about.

1. Is this normal to see the affect on your lips like this as you start to play more often and higher notes?
    2. Is it a good thing? Best way to describe is maybe the pump you feel when you lift weights and your muscles look bigger and swollen after lifting, and then they go back to normal size after rest. Is this the trumpet players way of building a better stronger lip for playing or doing more damage than good?

Sometimes if I play really high or too long I can tell that my lips, embouchure, mouth feels really tight, and I stop playing and flutter my lips, but I hadn't seen a blister form (not quite like a normal blister in that it is a temporary situation.)

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bruises come from pressure not blisters. Blisters are infections.

Building chops is not weight lifting. This is proven on stage when the practice room animals fall on their faces on stage. Practicing develops fine motor activities and a connection between the ears, brain, chops and lungs.

The secret to building good chops is thousands of low impact repetitions.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I agree with rowuk, it sounds like you're talking about a bruise not a blister,and bruising is caused by using too pressure.

4. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Actually I would say it was more like the lips were a little swollen after playing and then it went away.. so yeah blister was the wrong terminology... I would describe it like when you get a mosquito bite and the skin swells out at the point where you got the mosquite bite...

I was just surprised and it may have happened before, but just happened to notice it in the mirror...

But so far as too much pressure... obviously need to create pressue to get higher notes but presume that this is a result of trying to go too high or playing for too long, although I always keep my practice sessions limited to less than an hour and typically at 30 minute chunks.