Blister woes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Feb 24, 2010.

1. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, guys!

I have been known to get these cold sores as well. Usually they come up the week before an important gig. The way my doctors and I have dealt with it is to take Acyclovir at the first signs of a sore coming on. That means when ever I start feeling that slightly tingly sensation, generally where the mouthpiece rim sits on my lip, I start taking a regimen of Acyclovir. If I wait even a few hours, the sore will get larger and more painful. If I miss it by a day, I'll have a full blown sore and a miserable time of it!

I've been lucky in that over a nearly ten year marriage to my wife, she's managed not to catch the virus from me! As she is also a trumpet player, that's a very good thing!! I hate not getting Laura smootches for days on end!!!

Hope you can get over yours quickly!!!

Guy

2. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    OK,OK, before I make my comment I want to say:

1. I know it will sound crazy and you will want to laugh.
    2. I have used this method before on fever blister with sucess.
    3. I got it form a very repitable source. (Jon Faddis) who got it from a repitable source(Dizzy)
    4. Always use a new tube.

Now for the solution> DRUM ROLL PLEASE

Preperation H

Yep, I said it. 1990 FCCJ Artist series in JAcksonville, Fl the headliner was Faddis. We went up before him, and I had a solo "What's New" I had to hit a high E and woke up the day of the tech rehearsal (3 days out) with a fever blister.

Faddis saw it, and heard me try to play with it. Told me about the remedy, gone by the show.

BTW, my way comes without a co-pay

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I believe it. I got kicked in the face (long story) a couple of days before a gig and my top lip was very swollen. I couldn't find a sub so a friend recommended Preperation H due to its swelling reduction properties.

It wasn't a "miracle" but it reduced my lip to a point where i was able to function for the job...

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You're absolutely right. Preparation H is witch hazel, which is an astringent. An astringent is a drying agent, and is one of the main treatments for cold sores. It's also one the two main ingredients in Proactive (and other combination acne treatments advertised on TV).

5. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good information. For most people, outbreaks decrease over time. For those who get recurrent outbreaks, a doctor may prescribe Acycloriv or Valcyclovir for suppresive treatment.

BTW, there's a reasonable chance your spouse was already exposed, even before you two met. Roughly 50% of children and 80% of adults have been exposed to HSV-1. She may be one of those was was exposed, but does not get outbreaks.

Also FYI, while you are most contageous during an outbreak, there's a small chance you can spread it between outbreaks. Most people refrain from certain behaviours during an outbreak, which for oral HSV is likely sufficient. However, for genital HSV (which is a different virus), you should always protect your partner (both during and between outbreaks).

6. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    WHat are you some kinda Dr or something?

Just kidding

7. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    :-)

Yes, I'm a physician. I work in internal medicine and emergency medicine. I also have interests in performing arts medicine, which deals with the medical problems of performing artists.