Blistex Vs. Non medicated

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JonathanShaw, Nov 6, 2006.

1. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    I was hoping someone could settle an argument I'm having with a friend.

I'm in marching band and thus after spending gameday on friday and competition day on saturday playing outside, my lips are thoroughly chapped. I use medicated Blistex. This has always been the best for me and I have never suffored any kind of reprecution. My friend tells me that the medicated lip ointment breaks down muscles in your lips and will actually be detrimental to playing.

Can anyone settle this argument for us.

2. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    Well, I'm no doctor but I don't think there are muscles in the lips, and as long as the stuff works for you keep using it.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Of course there are muscles in the lips. How else do we move them

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    You just did. It works FOR YOU. Maybe not for him. Everyone is different in how they react to stuff. There are muscles around the lips, but as far as IN the lips, I cannot say. So, weather or not medicated Blistex has any ill-effects, I can't answer that, either. (I'm not a doctor...but I saw one on TV). If you've been doing this for a few years with no ill effects, then it's probably safe to continue. Next time you have a Dr. appointment, ask. Then, go talk with your HS biology teacher about muscle structure in the face and get back to us on wheather the muscles are around or in the lips!

5. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    The best I have used is from a cosmetics company called "Paula's Choice" - it doesnt have anything in it that will dry, or react with your lips. One application is usually enough, unlike creams like Blistex, where i find repeated applications are neccesary. Worth a try, if anyone is looking for a good lip balm.

6. Thermos

Thermos Pianissimo User

Jul 15, 2006
    I don't know that muscular damage is really the issue. If you're using some medications on your lip- certain kinds of chap stick or Vaseline for example, then I've heard there can be problems. I don't know where blistex fits in, but if you havent had problems in the past, I don't see a reason not to use it.

Shameless plug: Chopsaver works very well for this kind of thing for me and most trumpet playing friends i have ;)

7. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    The only stuff I use these days is ChopSaver.

8. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Just take your vitamin E every day!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not sure how much of the blistex actually soaks through the lips to get to the muscle, and then in sufficient concentration to "break your muscles down".
    I say: no chance.
    I was in the Army Band 30 years ago and used blistex every winter when my lips were chapped. The formula may have been different(probably 100 x more dangerous!), but my lips still work as advertised today.

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I echo some of the comments above..

I'm no Doctor but if it works for you who cares what it does or does not do?

I'm not certain that it would break down the muscles in your lips; I don't buy that but who knows. If you can still play then so be it.

I use Burt's Beeswax works fine for me.

I wonder if your friend got Blistex and Botox confused? Botox would paralize your lips; NOT GOOD FOR TRUMPET PLAYERS!