Blood Donation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MSfortissimo, Jan 28, 2012.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks to everyone who is a regular blood donor.

The Red Cross recommends that you refrain from strenuous physical activity for about 5 hours after donating. Examples of strenuous physical activity (> 6 METs) would include jogging, heavy calisthenics, and weight-lifting.

However, playing the trumpet would fit under mild to moderate physical activity. So you're fine. Examples of mild physical activity (< 3 METs) include working at your desk or a gentle walk. Examples of moderate physical activity (3-6 METs) includes a brisk walk or bicycle ride.

(FYI, a "MET" is a measure of physical activity.)

And as a couple people pointed out, be aware of yourself after donating. If something doesn't feel right, don't push it.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Doesn't donating blood repeatedly damage one's veins, so that if one ever requires IV treatment, it is then very difficult to insert a needle?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have donated every year all my life (well, I am 55 and have since I was 20). I also need regular blood testing for long term sugar levels (hba1c). That means at least 10 needles a year for many years. No trouble yet drilling for oil.

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    coolerdave - I am far from being a lead player even though I do play lead in one big band, my body just feels better after I donate [ probably a psychological thing]. I have AB+ and the Red Cross used to call me every 59 days like clock work to donate, after several years of this my veins built up scar tissue and they would roll when they would insert the needle. they told me it was best to back off so I quit for about 10 yrs, I donate once a year or so now.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You're correct, that every time you're stuck with a needle, it creates a little scar tissue in the vein. But it is rarely an issue in an otherwise healthy person. So for most people, there's no need to worry about donating blood.

The main time we see a problem from this is with IV-drug abusers, like heroin abusers. But they are injecting several times a day for months/years.

Mike

6. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    If you are healthy enough to donate blood, then there should be no problems playing afterwards, even immediately afterwards. Keep your fluid intake up for the first day and you won't even notice it.

Doctor by day - trumpet player by night.

Harrelson Bravura B-flat
    Harrelson Bravura C
    Conn Vintage 1
    Selmer Radial B-flat
    Getzen Eterna cornet
    Kanstul 920 picc
    Hub van Laar OIRAM ack flugel
    Amati pocket trumpet B-flat

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I have donated and played on the same day and have not percieved any problems but I do follow the recommendations of being well nourished with food and water.

BrotherBACH

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Due to the fact that I lived in Africa in the 70's and 80's and that I had one big malaria attack I can not donate :-(

9. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    I'm not THAT kind of Doctor but, will weigh in. I would say it depends on how you feel. 6-8 hours minimum but, not unless you're comfortable. Regardless, I'd make the first day back a slow one.