Blood in Mucus

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by someone, Feb 12, 2006.

1. someone

someone Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2006
    California
    I posted this over THere but no one responded, so I'll try my luck here:

I have fairly bad allergies, and as a result, my nose gets stuffed up easily. Today, my nose was a little stuffed up, and after playing for a long time, I blew my nose and there was blood in my mucus.

I had this problem earlier this year, but it went away for about a month. It seems to occur when I play longer than normal, or when I take a few days break and then come back and play a lot.

Is it something I should be concerned about? Thanks.

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Basically this comes about because your nostrils get very dried out during the winter months. It is nothing to be concerned about. It would help to get a saline spray and use it often to keep the nasal cavities moistened. That should cut down on the dryness caused during the wintery months. Also, sleeping with a humidifier running could help.

3. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Kind of a funny thought, but when you play, do you breath in through your nose? might add to the dryness.

Eric

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Dristan makes a good spray with Eucalyptus and Menthol, but any of them will do.

Also, even though you have a house humidifier, it wouldn't hurt to have one running close to your bed when you sleep at night. That is when our noses get dried out the most.

5. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    med,s and don,tpick your noise. :lol:

6. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Someone, what concerns me about your post is the association of this bloody mucous with playing.

You also seem to indicate it happens with some regularity, which suggests several other possibilities in addition to dry, irritated nasal passages. I would suggest going to see your doctor. If you have an allergist, or ENT, that would be a great person to consult.

This is not to alarm you. Rather, it's just to remind you that - helpful as people are on the TM - none of us are doctors!

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Awwww Dan.....how sweet of you to say. I am happy to be a part of this community. You guys are my trumpet buds. The whole idea, besides hanging out with each other via cyber space, is to help each other when we can. ;-)

8. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Good topic.

Here's another issue:

For about the past 4 days, my ears have been congested...I usually experience this every year during the first half of February, but it goes away within a couple of days. I'm in a completely different area of the country now, and it has been lasting much longer.

It's driving me NUTS!! Everything sounds all muffled, and it's ESPECIALLY annoying while I play. Any suggestions?

Louie

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Actually Robert has a very good point. I didn't realize it was something that seemed to arise when you play your trumpet. Mr. White gives you some very good advice.

10. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Again - when something doesn't go away, it's a good idea to see your doctor. Maybe it'll clear up in the meantime, but this winter has been an especially bad one for sinusitis, bronchitis, ear infections, pneumonia, you name it (ask anyone with kids!)

See a doctor.