Blood in Mucus

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by someone, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I also suffer allergies and sinus problems. I tend to take homeopathic routes. If you can get into a routine of using a Neti pot/saline nasal cleaning aparatus every day, you will greatly reduce all of these problems. The trick is to do it every day. I have basically eliminated having to take Zyrtec in the winter months when I used to suffer chronic infections. I still have to take it in the spring because everything is covered in pollen and there is no way around it.

Lou - I have suffered this kind of thing before. It usually comes about after being congested in the nasal area, not using decongestants, and continuing to play your trumpet (flying airplanes can really accelerate this problem). Basically, all of the back pressure eventually pushes the nasal discharge into your ear canals. An inner ear infection usually occurs and can even cause vertigo if it gets really bad. You need a strong decongestant and antibiotics. Like Robert said, see your doctor or visit the university health center. Those infections can be difficult to get rid of, so the sooner the better. Good luck!

2. someone

someone Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2006
    California
    I thought about making this topic a month ago, but it went again. I'm not that concerned about it, as it went away last time and I imagine it will do the same again. However, I am curious as to why playing the trumpet for extended periods of time (or at least more than I'm used to) causes this. I'll try a humidifier, and see if that helps, but I imagine it will be gone in a few days anyway.

My explanation for it lied somewhere around the mucus clogging my nose and then perhaps pressure building us and that somehow damaged some blood vessel. If it is something like that, then in a day or two, I'd imagine that the area is cleared and there's less pressure, so no more blood.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Actually, the back pressure from playing the horn is causing your brains to liquefy and leak out through your nose, and you should stop playing trumpet IMMEDIATELY before you become dumber than you already are! (You ARE a trumpet player after all!) :D

Kidding. Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;-)

I think that as others have said, it's probably due to drier air, and maybe some winter "allergies" - dust combined with dry air combined with whatever else.

The saline is a great idea and something that I have started to use in the winter for much the same reason - I don't get the bloody mucus as much as my nasal passages just get uncomfortably dry.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Trickg wrote:
    ...A DRUMMER!!!!!

Sorry Patrick...I could not resist either!

-cw-

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Touche. :D

I used to joke during ceremonies when I was at the Old Guard. The announcer's script was something to the effect of:

"...In 1922 the War Department granted permission to the Old Guard to pass in review with bayonets fixed. The Old Guard will now fix bayonets to the traditional beat...of the drum!"

At this point the bugles would play "Fix Bayonets" and the drummers would go into a sustained long roll with the bass drummers providing the beat for the rest of the Old Guard to fix bayonets.

Since we already had our bugles on our faces, I would always sub in the word "DUMB!" for "drum" during the narration. I thought it was funny anway. :oops:

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Q: How do you know you have a level headed drummer?
    A: Drool is running out of BOTH corners of his mouth!

7. uilleann

uilleann New Friend

Sep 11, 2005
    Staunton Virginia
    Hey trickg, do you remember Terry Detwiler? I think he was solo trumpet in the Blues in the late 70's retired now

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Oh yeah - how could you miss when he was screaming over the top of the band during "The Scream Machine"? :D I have a recording of the Blues doing The Scream Machine and in my opinion Detwiler sounds a lot like Maynard - big PHAT sound, screaming licks....of course, there are a lot worse people to be compared to than Maynard!