Blood pressure and trumpet playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandman, Feb 13, 2007.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Have any of you ever used a BP monitor to check your BP before and after playing your horn? I have and find that my BP goes WAYYYYYY high when I'm playing. I even waited 10-minutes and still found it to be elevated.

I'd love to know if any of you have ever monitored your BP before, during (within minutes after stopping), and after playing.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I was recently diagnosed with extreme hypertension. I'm afraid to check after playing! (but now that I've been on meds for a couple of months I'm getting down into the 90's consistently... you don't want to know what it was before!)

Actually, I asked my doctor if playing the trumpet would be hazardous and he replied "only if it's played badly". Score one for him. But what does he know? He plays piano.

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I have checked before and after playing, and it seems to make no difference. I am on several medications which may well keep it down.
    Roy

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'm certain that mine would be fine; however I have noticed that when I try for High C and above other parts of me try to implode!

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Must.....not......comment.

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Toots... principal's office. NOW! (No, you may not stop at your locker).

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A couple of years ago, I was playing the Hummel concerto. The first movement went great, the first couple bars of the second movement were normal and then I started to shake - the kind when you get nervous. By deep breathing and a lot of concentration, I finished off the rest. Only my wife noticed and asked what happened. I didn't know and went to the doctor the next day, got on the bicycle and what do you know - 215 over 150! She then wired up some long term measurment device and I had a rehearsal that night. Same numbers.......... Turns out my sleep apnea and boss were doing a job on my health. The boss is now an ex boss, the CPAP maschine and a little pill every day handles the rest. My BP still goes up when I play, but then trumpet playing is a lot of work!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Thanks, Toots. Now I wonder if our blood-pressure goes up when we bust a gut laughing, too!

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Guess I set myself up for that one Ed! :-)

I'll leave it at that.... :shock:

10. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    :laughwave: Both of you...John and Toots...Mother Superior is waiting...Knuckles up, guys!