Bloody Chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MusicOmnibus, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. MusicOmnibus

    MusicOmnibus New Friend

    Nov 15, 2005
    recently i noticed that after I practiced a little while i would taste a little blood coming from my lips. I looked closer at it and i could a red spot with spots of red in the middle of my embouchure. Im pretty sure i popped a blood vessel or something. I am taking a few days of to let this heal and putting vitamin E on it. I was wondering if this is going to affect my future playing if I make sure to reduce pressure? any other advice is welcome too.
  2. camelbrass

    camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

    Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    :-o :-o :-o :-o

    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

    Go and see a decent teacher, now!!!



    Sorry Manny just realised I jumped in...I loaded the message from the home page. Apologies again.
  3. Manny Laureano

    Manny Laureano Utimate User

    Sep 29, 2004
    Yes, reducing pressure would be a good idea.

    No, it won't affect you for the long term future but playing with a mouthpiece so hard aainst your lip will. You need to replace the pressure with buoyant wind and the will relieve the pressure. If you don't know any other way to play, you need to work with someone who can show you how.

  4. cornetguy

    cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

    Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    besides reducing pressure, look at the mouthpiece does it have a really sharp inner edge? that may also be a factor. I cant play on a 1.5 because the rim is so sharp it gets in the way
  5. MusicOmnibus

    MusicOmnibus New Friend

    Nov 15, 2005
    Im currently using a 14B4 Yamaha GP and the the inner edge is a lot more rounder then the schilke 13C4 i use to use. I think its more the pressure though.
  6. Rick Chartrand

    Rick Chartrand Piano User

    Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Get a teacher who can instruct you properly now! If you have bloody lips you are doing something VERY wrong! :shock:

Share This Page