blowing raspberries

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CaptainBalrog, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Thanks for posting that, captain.
    Mouthpiece buzzing is a quite controversial technique. For some trumpeters it helps a lot. Glad it's your case. Keep on buzzing!

Hey! I'm an humble amateur!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Some may call me persnickety, but IMO I wouldn't waste my time tutoring, or that of a student, if all the time they could devote to at home practice is 40 minutes a day, at least 6 days a week. Even now, I personally attempt to do three times as much actual lip time practicing, and that is on a regimen of alternating 30 minutes playing with 15 minutes rest. The lapse of time required to be set aside for such totals 2 hours, 45 minutes. Diagnosed with COPD, on a day to day basis, I'm now not able to meet this criteria, but that is the goal I set and attempt to achieve it as often as possible.

Until I determine otherwise, at my tutoring sessions, a student alternates 20 minutes playing, with 20 minutes rest, for a total of 1 hour playing and a time lapse of 1 hour, 40 minutes.

To be sure, I don't have many students who want such tutoring and will dedicate the time, or in the instance of a minor, parents that are supportive of such, but those that do I've found do very well, and if they didn't I wouldn't continue tutoring them.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    CaptainBalrog, I think 40 minutes is fine for starters. Ideally you will discover that playing the trumpet turns into so much pleasure that you'll automatically want to spend more time playing.

As to the "raspberries," without hearing you play it is really next to impossible to tell you what causes them over the internet. However, I have my suspicions what is causing them (which I won't relate at this time). I do have a powerful cure, though. Since they don't happen all the time, practice making them come at will. Counter-intuitive, but teach yourself to make these raspberries whenever you want. When you can do that, examine what you are doing to make them on command. Knowing that, just don't do it anymore.

Please keep us posted!

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I can find no fault with the previous posters as regards the raspberry. But with regard to your practice routine - don't worry about the time you take. As long as you practice efficiently, 40 minutes is heaps of time.
    And to alleviate the neighbours problem: Try and find a community band to join, and ask them whether you can use the rehearsal room for practice during the week. Usually, they can find some way of accommodating members' needs.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, I believe a true beginning starter will do as much harm in 40 minutes of continuous playing and not get as much benefit as they would alternating play 20 minutes, rest 20 minutes. To say 40 minutes continuously playing efficiently, I doubt very few pros can do so, let alone a beginning starter or comebacker. Putting aside my COPD, I wouldn't even attempt it, and otherwise I know of no song or etude that is that long. What it all boils down to, is the less one practices, the slower progress toward goals is attained.