Blowing = tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Mango - ROFL

I was considering going saxophone for a while (from guitar-sax) but as I researched and everything... I cant stand to learn something that is pretty basic... I like challenge. Trumpet/Violin were my choices for that (since i like to solo/play the lead) and basically, considering Im sick of strings (guitar 15 years) I said trumpet. As i went through all the online lessons... im thinking its even MORE involved than the damn violin! :stars:

Ted, you always had something good to say, appreciated.

Ive noticed a lot of pro horns are 'free' blowing so I assume given all else is designed for the open/rich sound the free blowing aspect would 'aid' in that also?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You shouldn't listen to people that have no idea what they are talking about.

There is no relationship between the symptom "free blowing" and tone quality.

There is also no direct relationship between resistance and the level of the horn. There are "free blowing" student horns, stiff pro horns and vice versa and everything in between.

Sound quality is solely the BRAIN of the player being attached to the ears, face muscles and breathing apparatus. No brain, no sound quality. The horn has NOTHING to do with it if it is basically in tune and put together reasonably well.

The brainless can spend as much money as they want - to no avail. The intelligent musician can make a cheapo horn sound brilliant.

Funny thing about the internet, there seems to be high resistance to the truth. Could be the fact that many confuse google with knowledge.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk sez:
    "many confuse google with knowledge".
    ------------
    Amen Brother!
    I need a stencil with the saying "Google is Not Knowledge" and stamp it on the forehead of each freshman that comes into my class.

4. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Agreed. That's why I only use bing.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I just Googled "seilogramp" and got lots of hits and then I "Binged" or "Bunged" or "Bonged" (whichever it is) "seilogramp" ... and got lots of hits, none of wich made much sense to me - so I reckon it's out with the old 1955 Aurthur Mee's Encyclopeadia. ;-)

6. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    They all made sense to me.:dontknow:

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Is the horn a free-blowing one or is the player a free-blower? It is all related to the individual situation of the particular player/instrument combination.

I wrote a blog about this:
    ivan?s blog

Any comments?

8. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Comment -- You're right, Ivan, it's the player and the combination with the instrument and the mouthpiece. But for the same player and mouthpiece, some instruments will feel more free-blowing and others will feel stuffier.

So while I agree there's no universal "that horn is free-blowing" or "this horn is stuffy" which will apply to everybody, for any particular player there will be horns which are free blowing and horns which are stuffy.