Blown out chops when performing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JNUTRPT, Mar 5, 2014.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Yup. You are tensing up and overworking on the performance. My advice would be to work the 19/30s exercise into your warmup.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi JNUTRPT,
    Along with what I suggested, here's something many don't think about. The tension(fear) of performing is not required and with a little cognitive restructuring, this can be taken care of.
    When we play, people "want" to hear us do really well. Think about it, who wants to hear a crappy performance? Nobody!!
    This simple truth can be a very helpful point of view because:
    1. It's true
    2. Think about how much easier things get when you know everyone is on your side.
    Dr.Mark

3. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Ok thanks:
    i think i understand ,we should be marking the scores of the songs we play in between the phrases of the tune ,i'm not sure how else to say it but where the natural breaks or hesitations are ? i thought this was the proper way but wanted to confirm it ,now ill have to go through some songs and put in breath marks,some are obvious ,other not so much but i know i play better when i have everything sorted out , breath ,volume etc.

As to circle breathing i never mastered that ,most likely i won't need too but i will try to work on it some as i go along .

Dean_0