Blue Mitchell solo in 12 keys

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by ebjazz, Jan 10, 2006.

1. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Blue Mitchell trumpet solo on “I’ll Close My Eyes†in 12 keys with analysis

This is my Music & Tumpet page http://www.bolvinmusic.com/mandt.html

"I'll Close My Eyes" is a very tasty trumpet solo by the understated and underrated Blue Mitchell. It is an excellent study piece in the use of standard modes such as major, dorian and mixolydian as well as harmonic minor. The solo also demonstrates fine use of chromatic passing tones. By practicing this solo in the 12 keys available on the website, the jazz student will develop a natural feel for using chromatic passing tones.

This can also be useful as a range builder for trumpet, adding a half-step each week or so.

"I'll Close My Eyes" is taken from the CD Blues Moods which is an excellent jazz trumpet CD.

2. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Thanks for sharing this with us! This has always been one of my favorite solos--nice to have it printed in all the keys. That CD is a really great recording---He was so young when he recorded this and I believe had not been playing the trumpet for very long when he recorded this.

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Thanks for all your hard work, Eric. Great stuff!

4. Tom_MacNiven

Tom_MacNiven Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Hi there Eric! I'm enjoying playing your transcription but I wondered if you have left out all the articulation on purpose? Perhaps to encourage the student to listen to the recording more? Also, when I try to print different keys other than G I get everything but the lines of the staves and the stems of the notes. Do you know what could be causing this? It looks fine on acrobat, it's just when I try to print.

Thanks for giving this gift to us! :-)

Cheers,

Tom.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Eric, great stuff! And "Welcome" to TM! Be sure to enter the Eclipse contest; the price of admission is just your imagination.

6. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    As far as the articulation goes, you're right. I think jaz players need to develop instinctual articulation styles.
    You may need to check a box on your printer pref or setup that allows your computer to see the font. Since we probably have different computers and printers, that
    s about all I can suggest.

Thanks!!

7. Tom_MacNiven

Tom_MacNiven Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Hi there Eric!

Thanks for that I'll check the preferences and stuff. I'm not very good with software other than music programs you see.

Cheers,

Tom.

8. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Eric,

This is beautiful, man! Thank you very much. This is one of my all-time favorite trumpet solos by Blue!

Herb

9. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    Somebody knows where i can find it?

grz.

10. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Always loved Blue Mitchell's playing.