Bob Reeves C2J Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by dbacon, Nov 10, 2003.

1. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    :-)

2. bnbtrpt

bnbtrpt Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2003
    I have tried the C2J. It does get a pretty cool sound. I think it would be good if you didn't want to bring your flugel to gig but maybe still play a flugel-esque solo. It is a cool toy though. Expensive too.

jd

3. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi,

I have a Reeves C2J and really love it. As you probably know it has a very deep funnel cup with a very short backbore ( the whole mouthpiece is about the lenght of a flug piece ) cut to fit a trumpet reciever.

I'm told that if it was the same lenght as a normal trumpet piece , it would play very flat ( maybe even a half-step ), plus a normal trumpet lenght backbore might make the sound very nasal becasue it couldn't falir fast enough plus it has to be shorter to balance the cup depth

Clark Terry , who is one of my altime favorites , had his personal model Giardinelli cup shaped in much the same way. Thats why he got such a warm sound on trumpet and could bend notes and do all those amazing lines all over the place.( plus having amazing talent )

Ron Romm and David Fieshtal ( principal trpt, SF orch ) both own and use the C2J.

Ron Romm has a great cd titled " Wellness of the Soul " that he uses the C2J almost exclusivly and ' WoW " , what a beautiful sound he gets.
    After listening to this cd, there's no way you don't get " that warm, fuzzy feeling "

It's just him and his wife, Avis, on piano. Check it out on www. MusicRomm.com

I think Bob Reeves is one of the truly greats in the moughpiece business.

He's made pieces for most of the " trumpet greats " through-out his 40 plus year career plus the noval experience of listening to them play , in person, in his old Hollywood shop , as they tried out his pieces or after he had made some slight alteration, handed it back and listened to the change it made in their playing.

With the advent of the internet and big retail stores, those kind of situations just don't happen anymore.

Larry