Bobby Hackett & Schilke

Discussion in 'Horns' started by dyeabsley, Mar 13, 2004.

1. dyeabsley

dyeabsley New Friend

Feb 29, 2004
    New Zealand
    Hi, i've been listening to a Bobby Hackett LP ("Plays the great music of Henry Mancini"), and it mentions that Bobbys cornet is a custom Schilke.

Does anyone know the specifications?

Thanks

-Daniel

2. theoldmaz

theoldmaz New Friend

Jan 30, 2004
    Oak Park, Illinois
    Bobby Hackett's Cornet

During the early years when the Schilke Company was located at 223 W. Lake St. in Chicago, Bobby would come up to the shop and have some mouthpiece work done by the "maestro". I was often asked to change a spring or polish his horn while the work was being done. As far as I can recall, he always had a gold Besson cornet. It's my guess the album liner notes may be in error and may refer to his mouthpiece instead of the instrument. If anyone has a picture of Bobby Hackett playing a Schilke Cornet, he should post it here for us all to see so as to prove me wrong, which, in this case, would be a good thing.

3. dyeabsley

dyeabsley New Friend

Feb 29, 2004
    New Zealand
    Hi. I'm pretty sure it's a Schilke.

The Cornet is pictured on the front of the LP, and I can make out the octagonal valve caps and button tops. The horn also appears to be silver-plated.

On the back of the LP it says "Bobby Hackett's cornet as photographed on the album cover was custom made by Renold Schilke".

Maybe the Schilke was a product placement? ;)

-Daniel

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Actually, Dusko Goykovic bought the original trumpet that was made for Bobby Hackett.

Here is a quote for an interview with Mr. Goykovic:

If you would like to read the whole interview then CLICK HERE

-marc

5. trptsbaker

trptsbaker New Friend

Jun 23, 2004
    wisconsin
    Mr. Schilke once told me that Bobby Hackett came to the shop with a mouthpiece blank made of SOLID PLATINUM and said to him, "Cut me a mouthpiece. Keep the shavings." So he did. I love that story. Ren, quote: "It's impossible for Bobby Hackett to hit a wrong note, he couldn't do that if he tried." Tom.