Bobby Shew MPC

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by linktrek, Jun 30, 2013.

1. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    Is anyone else having the success that I am having with the Bobby Shew mouthpiece? I am making a comeback from 1978 and was playing Leon Merian's personal mouthpiece.I couldn't find one so I went mpc shopping online. I tried a Parduba *6.5* , Jetone Leon Merian medium shallow, Asymmetric, Legend Lighting, 5C, 5E, 3C, 3E, 1 1/2C, 1E, and an old vintage mpc stampled "Germany" with no size. I ended up with the Bobby Shew .. I believe it is a 342 Lead mpc. I don't know whether it is the new Chinese trumpet I got or the Bobby Shew mpc but this is the first time i ever played a loud double G. BTW Don't ever trash a low cost Chinese trumpet. Mine was made by a small music company and I am having the best success I have ever had with any trumpet. The small music company is "OPUS" All I know is the company is small and unknown. You can Google "Opus Music Company"and find their website. I paid $99 (actually I got it for free) for it and the company refunded my money after they advertised their horn on eBay as professional and I couldn't find any documentation that backed up that claim.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am happy to hear about the pleasure you are getting from your present combination. I have nothing to share based upon experience with a Shew MP or OPUS trumpet. This may be of interest, though. As I worked through the first two years of my comeback after being away from the trumpet for most of forty years, I experimented a lot with mouthpieces and several trumpets. As I did so, my sense of what I really appreciated in an instrument/mouthpiece combination matured. Today I am practicing with my Bach Stradivarius 180S37 and a Bach 3C mouthpiece. I do not have a sure playable musical double G (4th ledger line above the staff), in fact I've only been in that territory a few times, and none of my music goes that high. What I do have, though, is a full resonant sound from F# below the staff to high C (2nd ledger line above the staff) along with a nice playable high D that should soon be "there". Along with this I enjoy clean articulation, great intonation across my playable range, and gradually increasing trumpeting stamina. My other two Bb's provide similar satisfactory experiences. High notes are great, and if playing them fulfills your trumpeting ambitions you are apparently on the right track. I like the whole trumpeting palette, though. Increased range certainly expands that palette of musical color, but for me, I will not accept diminished intensity of all the rest of the marvelous musical colors available to me for the sake of a few more that will be seldom used. Best wishes as you continue.
    Jim

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  3. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    So far in my comeback, I have little hints inbetween the garbage that are giving me the encouragment to continue on. I see the light now and it is only a matter of time that I will be playing the way I always imagined I would. I'd say that I am now playing 97% garbage, 2% acceptable, and 1% amazing hints of promise.

This is not an advertisement but a suggestion. If anyone has some extra money around they should go to eBay and buy the trumpet that is advertised as "professional" for $99. Buy one and see what happens. If you don't like it you would easily get your money back. It is well worth a try.

Again, this is not an advertisement. It is only something that I would like to share with everyone. But make sure it is the $99 one and the one that is marked as "professional." The combination of the Shew mpc and this "OPUS" horn is the combo that I am getting the success with. When I say success it means I am playing things that I only dreamed about before.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. Parkerweiss

Parkerweiss New Friend

Jun 24, 2013
    I have both the Yamaha Shew Jazz and Lead. I can't play the Shew Lead at all, but I played the Jazz for a couple years and really liked it!

5. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I love my Shew lead for strict upper register playing. It does make it so much easier to light it up above high C, but I lose the sound I like within the mid-range of the horn. I have to say that I do like to use it when I can, for extended range. My two go to mouthpieces have been my Bach 3C and my Schilke 14. Both are very comfortable to me, and I can still get up into the high range, but it takes a bit more effort. Despite this, I can still venture up there without sacrificing the nice fat tone that I get in the rest of the scale.

Just my 2 cents!

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I have both the Yamaha Shew lead, and the Marcinkiewicz shew lead. Both play well although the Marcinkiewicz shew lead plays lots easier than the Yamaha.