Bobby Shew With Toshiko/Lew

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by dbacon, Nov 11, 2003.

1. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I've been listening to all the old Toshiko Akiyoshi-Lew Tabackin Big Band recordings from the 70's. Tales of a Courtesan, Kogun, Road Time, Long Yellow Road, Insights. All on records not yet on CD that I know of. But Bobby Shew does some of his finest work here, and some of the best big band lead playing ever. To fully appreciate the work of Bobby Shew as a lead trumpet player you need to listen to these recordings. The L.A. band was the best of Toshiko and Lew.

2. LFRoberts5

LFRoberts5 Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    St. Louis
    My favorite is Tuning Up from the Road Time album.

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I used that chart with a good High School Band some years ago, and they used it as a pimp on me. The opening concert A, on a road gig they all got together and played Aflat instead while I was messing with microphones etc. (We used it to tune up on road gigs, then play the blues to warm-up). I was not really listening, checking mics etc. cause we were late. So the first interval is a whole step instead of a half step, and I'm loosing it for a second thinking they are transposing to B blues instead of Bflat. Never trust really smart High School kids.....

4. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Really smart high school kids?

Now, I've heard of military intelligence...

:wink:

Kevin

P.S. Hey Dave, correct me if I'm wrong, but all I was in high school was a smart-a-s-s.

5. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.

Now, what High School did you go to again?

Desert Chaparral Flying Cactus Shadows Mountain?

All the schools have the same name out here in the Desert.....

Yeah, you were very smart Kevin!! One of the smartest guys I know. Glad to see it's really working for you, you sure were a great player in school! Just don't let George send you Bamburg guys to Bagdad. Don't think the freelance scene is happening yet!!!

6. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well Dave, guess what? Yeah, you guessed it. We're going down sooner than later. But we won't be in Baghdad... Tikrit more like it. Pros and cons of the whole thing (not gonna tell you want I think of George W. :roll: ). Good money though.

In September got a chance to hang with Bobby here in Germany. What a great guy!!! Awesome clinic, and I think I learned even more from the concert he gave the next day. Sooooo tasty. Completely inspired me. Some days I have to force myself to stop practicing.

-Kevin

7. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi all,

I was lucky enough to see Bobby Shew with the band live on a number of occasions.

It seemed like the metal never came off his face. Bobby Shew not only played all the notes, he made it sound musical and swinging to boot.

I once saw Bobby do 2 sets with is small group, take a break , and do 2 sets playing lead trumpet for Bill Holman's Big Band. Never missed.

Buddy Childers took over for Bobby on Akioshi's Big Band when Bobby Left and had a little trouble becasue the parts were so hard.

First road trip, he actually cut his lip open. Buddy Childer's is a great player , no doubt , but not many players can play like Bobby Shew.

The lead parts were written with Bobby's abilities in mind.

Larry

8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  9. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Yeah "Tuning Up" swings its arse off and "Road Time" is a great album all around. All of those albums are worth a listen and I agree some of Bobby's finest lead and solo work.