Bobby Shews Lead trumpet mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by flatterthanapancake, Jan 30, 2006.

1. flatterthanapancake

flatterthanapancake New Friend

Jan 30, 2006
    So I'm thinking about getting this mouthpiece. Can anyone tell me if they have one? Or heard anything good about them? Thanks!

2. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Be more specific -- you talking about the Marcinkeiwicz or the Yamaha models? Model number? He's got his name on a few different pieces, I'm afraid....

3. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I have no experience with the Shew. One of my students started playing the "Yamaha" Shew a few mos ago at the recommendation of his previous teacher. I saw it and checked out the specs in the Yamaha Catalogue. Very shallow lead piece. It was 16.54 diameter, I think. Pretty small mpc...very bright sound.

Are you a young student or an adult performer. I don't recommend it for a younger player. Let me know your age and why you are interested in it.

T1O

4. flatterthanapancake

Jan 30, 2006
    I am a junior in my highschool. Yes I heard it was a very shallow moutpiece. It's the Yamaha. I am wanting to get it because it's for upper register playing and I playing lead in Jazz band and I want it for playing in the Pep band too.

5. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I don't think the Yamaha Shew is too bad for someone your age and what you want to use it for. What are you currently playing on?

T1O

6. flatterthanapancake

Jan 30, 2006
    I'm playing on a Schilke 15. My lesson teacher got it bent. So I guess it's a bent Schilke 15

7. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The Schilke 15 is a larger diameter mpc. You may have a tough time switching back and forth. What about a Schilke 14A4A? It would be more similar.

T1O

8. flatterthanapancake

Jan 30, 2006
    Yes I was looking and reading about that. I will consider it and compare the two a little more. I'm just wondering if they have the same or similar playing affect. :dontknow:

9. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    They should be similar in playing characteristics. I played Schilkes for quite a while and recently switched. The 13 and 14A4A have a softer inner edge like the Shew. They're both shallow cups designed for lead playing and easier high range. They'll both have a bright sound.

I think the biggest issue for you will be the rather significant cup diameter difference if you go with the Shew. The Shew has a 16.54 mm diameter, the 15A4A Schilke has a 17.14 mm and 14A4A is 17.09mm. Personally I'd check out the 14A4A if I were you.

Good luck.

T1O

10. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Between the Schilke 14A4a and the Shew Lead, I'd take the Shew piece. The 14A4a is notoriously hard to play on for many people.

The Shew is really very bright, however.