Body oils harming trumpet finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by staleyja, Nov 7, 2011.

1. staleyja

staleyja New Friend

Oct 12, 2011
    I just recently purchased new horn and it came with gloves to keep hands from fingerprinting and body oils
    From harming finish. Is there some kind of hand cream that neutralizes your body oils to protect the finish?
    Or is there another solution or is it no big deal?

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    If the finish is lacquer, there's not much to worry about. For silver plate, you can wipe it down after you play. A man in my community band plays his silver plate euphonium with gloves on; that certainly cuts down on the need to polish the horn as often.

For the most part, though, unless your new horn is unfinished (raw) brass (very unlikely), there's not much to worry about.

Tom

3. staleyja

staleyja New Friend

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks, mine is has a silver finish but it is not the top of the line so i didn't know it it had a protective lacquered finish or
    Not.

4. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Can you return the horn? I might be mistaken but the reason I ask you this is that the only horns I have seen that come with gloves are from pacific rim manufacturers and are very poorly made. You would be better off with an Olds Ambassador , Getzen 300, or similar classic student horn.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree with Tom. I do wear a glove on my left hand due to the silver-plating being worn away on my horn or else my hands turns green. The glove turns green instead. The moral is, wipe your horn after you play and you'll be okay.

6. staleyja

staleyja New Friend

Oct 12, 2011
    You are right about the horn being a Pacific rim horn and I could have returned it when I first receive it due to faulty workmanship or not as described but there was nothing that fit that. Everything works fine. If I stick with I'll get a better horn.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That's a good plan - just keep it clean and lubricated and get the best out of your trumpet - those habits will serve you well for any trumpet you may play in the future.