Body pain from trumpet playing.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Nov 28, 2011.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Hey guys, so i've been teaching myself the trumpet for just over 2 years and getting better and better every day. but over the last few months i have noticed a slight pain in my lower right side of my stomach (just around where my belt is). It is not such a sore pain it just kind of lingers around, i didnt go to the doctor cause i don't have one.

Lately i have been concentrating on pushing myself up the register concentrating on getting a good grasp of F and G (on staff), i notice my stomach muscles are definatley developing and its like ive been doing sit-ups.

Just wondering if it is common to get slight abdominal pains through trumpet playing? or is it more likely my lifestyle? ie drinking etc? lol.

I realise you guys are not doctors but im just wondering if it is common?

many thanks in advance.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    There are doctors on this site!

Are you squeezing you abs when you go high? If you must squeeze something then squeeze you legs or butt. It would be better to not squeeze anything at all, just blow more air. This could have nothing to do with the trumpet and could be a medical problem. The only pains I get is in my butt from sitting in the hard metal chairs for 3 hours straight during concerts.

3. the newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Yeah i'm definatley squeezing my lower ab.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Not good. You just blow, dont squeeze anything. You are probably sore from doing that. Work on saying hmph, but give a lot of air, so much that it almost empties you lungs. Then do the same with your trumpet, blow a lot of air.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I had something like that. I went to the doctor. It turned out that the lining of my lungs was inflamed. Not serious he prescribed ibuprofen. It was annoying though because I only felt it a couple of times throughout the day, but I would continuously exhale all the way "to see if it still hurt", which I think kept it from going away on its own.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    -A little off topic- A number of years back I read an article that said many pro players had leg pains after playing, especially after a grueling session. Maybe tensing the muscles.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Pain is not normal. The abs are very strong muscles and it is unlikely that they are getting beat up by trumpet playing. Ruptures are something that very extreme players only occasionally suffer.

Prolonged pain should ALWAYS be analysed by a doctor. There are all sorts of things that it could be. Sometimes it is favorable to get an early handle on what is going on................

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    If you are straining your muscles to play F's & G's on the staff then you need to get a good teacher!

9. the newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thanks guys, i'm hesitant to admit that it might be my appendix, it feels almost like a very light stitch. Just thought i would run it past you all to see if there was maybe a trumpet connection.

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    FWIW my doctor said the inflamed lining of the lung didn't have anything to do with trumpet, more likely other activities extracurricular activities. I was worried about appendix/hernia, because it was so low, but neither of those were the case.