Body Reactions to the High Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I was playing some upper stuff, and once I really got my air moving, sometimes I would feel the air hit against my soft palette, and my nose/nasal area would feel clogged, or shut off (would actually run a slight amount after I finished playing a phrase)

Just wondering, has anyone else experienced this? Just curious

2. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    My eyebrows raise when I play in my high range. I think this is probably the most common reaction though. A reaction i am trying to get rid of is my legs getting tense

3. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    I think most of the body reactions we get when playing high is muscular restriction or contortion of some sort. It varies from player to player. I know my abs are tensed when I play high, and often I give my horn a death grip in the extremes. I know a guy whose facial muscles go nuts when he plays high, I try really hard not to laugh at him in band... because he's an absolute legend but the faces he pulls... :D

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Interesting to read about the different physical circumstances experienced when playing in the upper register. And I think we all know that the less of this thing that occurs, the better off we are and the better we play. I occasionally experience something similar to what Mark described in his OP. The difference is that as a non-gigging hobbyist I can back off and make a conscious effort to correct my technique. Am I correct in believing that the more we concentrate on air, aperture, and relaxation, the more likely we are to play well up high?
    Jim

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Most every player I've ever seen has a reaction in the upper register. There was a thread awhile back about getting rid of the "constipation face". Dizzy said to play high, one has to pucker their sphincter!!! Playing the upper register takes strength. Mark, I have had something similar happen near the nasal cavity (paging Dr. G, don't know what it's called) in the back of my throat. My experience was that I was blowing too hard and trying to play a note I wasn't ready for or I was tired. I've learned to not over blow when trying to get that extra half tone into my "pocket". Relax, as much as possible.

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yeah that constipation face...rofl! My girlfriend says that my eyes look like they're about to pop out of my face (like in the cartoons) XD
    Maybe I should keep them closed....rofl!

Interesting thought on the use of air and the nasal cavity. Yeah, I found that I was having a hard time keeping my corners (like the eye teeth corners, near the mouthpiece) closed up, because I was tired. The air definitely solved the problem, but I probably was overblowing

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    There is also a little place right behind the jaw joint (again, paging Dr. G) under the ears that can blow out when one overblows and that actually hurts and takes awhile to feel better/heal.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Lying on your back on the floor, staring at the ceiling, wondering how you got there ..... That's why I embrace the lower registers. :thumbsup:

Turtle

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I love holding that high note out for 8 bars... then start seeing those little black dots floating in my visual field which follows with a rush of euphoria. Man... that feeling is better than drugs. Hold it out another 8 bars... DEATH... the utimate spiritual experience!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds to me like you are holding those notes for 12 bars. Another 4 and you've reached the utimate spiritual experience.