Body Reactions to the High Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    The only thing I do is activate my abs, everything else is relaxed. If I ever have to rip up to really really high notes, I'll bust out the "wedge" manuever, but only then.

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I've noticed the abs are the major thing that activates my high notes --- not even tongue arch does much for me... I may be playing tight out of habit, and that causing this stuff, though I can get the notes out very nicely when I focus on the air usage and a solid embouchure

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Also, on the ab thing, without playing, try to activate them but remaining relaxed. I can do it while talking and not strain anything else. Btw, when playing a high note, instead of thinking about playing it, like about floating it, almost like a paper airplane.

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    One of the keys to upper range is to always work on removing unnecessary muscle groups while playing. The upper range is where you’ll tend to see these muscles kick in the most. Example….”The muscles in my big toe flex when I hit XX note” Ask yourself “Do I need to flex my toe for this note? “ If your answer is no then remove it when you play XX note. Same thing for your face, or shoulders, or hands, etc….. The more relaxed you play, the better you play, the more unnecessary muscle groups you remove, the better and easier you play. Use a mirror when you practice and watch yourself play, I bet you will surprise yourself when you see some of the contortions you make ! Here is a video of Derek Watkins featured in the James Last Orchestra playing the theme from Rocky, this guy is about as relaxed as you can get and not fall asleep, no pressure, no tension even in his hands up on a high “B”, it’s all air and arch. Enjoy this video, I do at least twice a month, Derek has a great sound !!! Some interesting horns in this vid too !

Theme from Rocky - James Last Orchestra feat. Derek Watkins - YouTube

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Great video of one of my favorites movie songs! Who's the camera hog at 2:44-52? Surprised he didn't say "HI MOM!!! :D

Another guy that looks like he's "sleeping" sometimes is Byron Stripling.