Body Resistance. What is it and What Cures it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I sort of regret the shower/range-going-south comment as it's misleading. If my lips are a bit stiff due to dryness etc., my general playing is rubbish but I can squeak out something close to a G above high C. On a fresh, relaxed lip, high C is pretty comfortable. I'm not working to extend this range, just strengthen the range I currently have. Pretty sure a couple of notes above that will turn up of thir own accord when they're ready

And "equilibrium" is the right word, though many people (including too many engineers) would misunderstand it. Strictly speaking, a stable resonating system is a perfect example of what we call "dynamic equilibrium": stuff is in constant motion, but repeating the same cyclic sequence.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Had to laugh when I read this, Dr Mark.

The one thing I don't have these days is the sheer 'bellows power' I had 40 years ago. My ancient Arban from back then was marked up with nothing but the number of seconds I'd got down to for each exercise. My current electronic copy is marked up with nothing but breath marks. :-)

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Sethoflagos,
    You stated:
    "The one thing I don't have these days is the sheer 'bellows power' I had 40 years ago."
    ---
    Think about that statement for awhile especially the term "bellows power". When I was in high school, I was one of those weird kids that could pop out reasonable Ferguson solos at 15. However, the methodology needed a lot of energy and bellows power. It sounded great but a lot of effort was needed. Now I'm ancient and there's no way that 16 year old could out play me today in any way especially range. I've learn to "manage" the stress and tension and by doing so, gained power.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    A couple of years ago I'd have given my eye teeth to be as good as the 11/12 year old in my avatar. But now (and due in no small part to yourself) I can keep my teeth and quite reasonably set my sights higher than that. I just wish I could go back, take that lad to one side, and pass on some of the stuff I've learnt from TM over the last couple of years.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    ---
    Hi Sethoflagos,
    If only we could go back. Of course we can't, but we can help the next batch coming up that are willing to listen and apply. My goodness just think of the possibilities. The next big thing in trumpet could be some 14 year old on this site who actually listened to and seriously applied (for example) rowuk's advice on breathing or VB's Ray of Power. That would be very cool.
    Dr.Mark

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And that is a vital lesson to learn.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi G-man
    I absolutley agree. Learning what doesn't work is important too.
    Dr.Mark

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Catch them young, as the Jesuits say. The view I take is that if just one person listens and gains something from you, then that's more than enough justification for standing up for what you believe is true and has some value.

But does anybody other than VB understand the Ray of Power? I'd like to give it a try, but I'm getting on a bit and Africa tests the strength of your digestive tract quite enough without adding extra unnecessary pressure down there...........

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I do and it was one of the life changing forces I learned here on TM:worthy:. Add to that my phwoooo technique, and you have the Raw of Power! It is a Zen breathing thing you know.:shhh:

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Sethoflagos,
    You asked:
    "But does anybody other than VB understand the Ray of Power?"
    ---
    Yes! (VB please correct me if I'm wrong) Ray of Power (ROP) focuses on a bundle of nerves at the perineum and through imagery which includes the ground the person is standing on, a person can get power. It also helps with posture which is important! It's pretty hard to focus on the "taint" while playing and slouch or slump.
    A lot of what we do deals with imagery and ROP is for some, an effective way to reduce stress and improve posture.
    Define " The Taint"
    It taint your bunghole and it taint your peepee. It's the area between the two.
    Dr.Mark