Bombed my solo :(

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Apr 23, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Today in class we had to stand in the front of the room and perform our solos. Well....I didn't do to good. I rushed at the start and then I went to slow. I found it difficult to play the high portion too. I really bummed me out, and my teacher was dissappointed at me. If I had one, I'd post a video so you guys can have a few laughs. Any advice?

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Don't sweat it. Sooner or later, we all bomb something. Wasn't it Dizzy that said some day he wins, and some days he doesn't? I played 6 services over the Easter holiday. At one of them they asked me to improvise a descant for a hymn. I got about 3/4ths of the way through it when I got into the wrong partial on the horn. I MASSACRED about a measure before I got it back. #$%# happens!

Trumpet players are like quarterbacks. When you make a bad play, you gotta shrug it off. If you don't, it will make you crash the next thing too.

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Sometimes we don't live up to our hopes when we play. If you were playing in OK in practice and in your lessons, then you were probably nervous and a bit self-conscious.

Were you prepared or could you have practiced more?

Were you up tight and did that affect your performance? Rushing at the beginning and then slowing down too much seems to me a sign of nervousness. Having trouble on the high part probably means you were worried about being able to play it, and perhaps your breath support was hampered by worrying.

Did your teacher actually tell you he/she was dissapointed, or are you inferring that because he was feeling your pain too? I don't think a decent teacher will ever tell you they are dissapointed, even if they are, because it is far more effective for them to encourage you with positive suggestions to help you do better next time.

Ask yourself these questions and look at the answers for a few minutes. Then put it behind you and move ahead with the resolve that you will address the answers and use them to improve.

EVERYBODY HAS BUTTERFLIES. While now they can throw you off-balance, in time they will raise the level of your performance.

veery

5. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Its a bit like learning to ride a bike.... when you fall, get up and try it again! You can do it!
    Good luck for the next time.

Roy Griffin

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Like many other things, the more you do it, the better you get at it. I still get a little nervous when playing in front of very large crowds or in front of players better than I am. Being completely familiar and comfortable with the solo and keeping your mind on what you're doing will help a lot, too.

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    The birthplace of VIBRATO!

To crash is to gain experience. Experience will lead to a sense of immunity to the fear of crashing a note.

Realize when you fall, you made nobody's ears bleed, It won't be reported in the news, nobody is going to talk about it tomorrow around the water cooler.
    Once you feel accomplished, it won't bother you bit, because, "Oh Well", you'll be confident that the next phrase will be perfect.

A sour note is usually what it takes, to put it all behind you!:thumbsup:

You have to belittle the scene. Put a glass wall up between the listeners and yourself. Believe that you are playing this solo for yourself, not for anyone else.
    You are your own worst critic....

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  8. sinofian

sinofian Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2008
    Central Florida
    Oh man... we've all been there!

Even after almost 30 years of making music, I STILL make mistakes sometimes... you just gotta push through it and move on.

Just a couple of weeks ago at a gig with the classic rock cover band that I'm in, I totally blew one of the most recognizable guitar solos of all time!

We were playing the outro to The Eagles' Hotel California (which I've played hundreds of times) when I completely lost my place... I swear, I sounded like Marty McFly in Back To The Future when he starts to fade away & can't play the guitar any more :D.

It was so bad that I had to drop out for a measure or two so that I could recoup and find the right notes before the song was over. I nailed the ending, though. :dontknow:

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I'm sorry but you must be punished. From now on you have to play clarinet.
    Just kidding, But seriously, you pick yourself up, brush yourself off and keep going.
    Remember, you're not always going to play great, but you're not always gonna suck either. We have ALL botched a performance. I've heard Doc suck, I've heard Snooky suck, I've heard Maynard suck, I've heard Jensen suck. We ALL Suck sometimes.
    With that said, Figure out what you did wrong, fix it and move on. Don't wallow!

10. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    Everyone has a bad gig now and again. Just last night my Jazz band had our final concert of the semester. We get to the last song and I go for the high G stinger and hit an open high F# :shock:. talk about dissonance!! I really want to take that note back but sometimes it happens. :oops: