Bona vs. Wolfpak

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by miles71, Jun 6, 2005.

1. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    anyone have experience with both cases? Whatayathink?

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I have no experience with Bona, but I do have the WolfPak 2.5. I am happy with the fit of the horns in there. I keep my main Bb, a C and a Picc in there. There is plenty of room for the mouthpiece pouches, as well. I don't really use the internal music hoilder thingy that is on the inside of the top; I bought the music bag and mute bag that go with it. There's a nice removable pad if you need to lay your spare horn on the floor.

The mute bag (which clips on to the outside of the case and looks rather odd when it does) is extremely roomy. I can keep my straight, cup, plunger, wah-wah, silent brass and piccolo straight in there, along with mouthpiece brush, snake, valve oil, pencils and refills (I like the mechanical ones 'cause they clip unobtrusively to the stand) slide grease, metronome (it's big...a Dr. Beat DB88) and tuner. There's also a nice little zippe compartmentt on the outside. (That bag clips only onto the 2.5 case). The music bag is also very roomy, and can also clip onto the outside of the case via D rings and snaps.

I have one of the last of the older ones, which makes a difference. The D rings which hold the shoulder strap are metal, as is the zipper pull handle; I hear they have changed those to plastic on the newer models.

My side handle, after only a year, has broken. The piece that holds the handle to the side of the case has come off, and now the handle is only attached by one holder thingy. Not a real problem for me, as I use the shoulder strap; but cosmetically, it looks terrible that way, and if I forget and try to pick up the case by that handle, it could be a bad thing. I wrote them an e-mail about it, and they are supposed to be sending me a new handle assembly. That was 2 weeks ago, and I still have yet to recieve it.

Overall, I like the case for the cost. It's lightweight but sturdy feeling. I am upset over the handle thing, and hopefully they will take care of me.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The only experience I have is with the Wolfpak Trumpet/Flugel combo case, and to completely honest, I didn't like it at all. The case was set up to be compact and I can appreciate that, but because of that, the configuration was in my opinion, less than desirable. It was basically set up to where you put the flugel in the case, then you strapped your trumpet to a pad with velcro tabs, and then laid that in the case on top of the flugel - it was a pain and I didn't like it. I used that case for 2 gigs before I went back to my Reunion Blues triple.

My current case is certainly nothing fancy, but I love it anyway - it is the ProTec TrumpetFlugel Combo. It's a little bulky and pretty plain-Jane, but form follows function in my opinion and this case has it where it counts - good protection, 4 mouthpiece slots (more than I need) and a HUGE side pouch that can (and does) hold all sorts of gig related equipment. It's current contents:

Mic sound shield
    tuner
    pencils
    valve oil
    clip on lyre
    9V batteries (I have a Shure in-ears pack and a wireless Beta 87 vocal mic)

and it is big enough to hold a 1" 3-ring binder full of music. It's cheap and simple, but gets the job done and I prefer it over my all leather Reunion Blues triple.

4. SlideBone Ltd.

SlideBone Ltd. New Friend

Feb 15, 2004
    NYC
    MB Cases are the most popular cases !!

Many styles to choose from and superb quality.

Amazing protection.

www.slidebone.com