Boosey and Hawkes trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by carlp, Jan 20, 2013.

1. carlp

carlp New Friend

Jan 14, 2013
    I have a Boosey and Hawkes instrument which has written on it 78 and letters LP with a serial number of 210592 .Does anyone have any information on its age
    Regards Carl

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Looks like 1955-56. The LP denotes that it is made in low pitch - they were still making high pitch instruments at that time.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That makes perfect sense Ivan, I have a Boosey and Hawkes instrument, manufactured in 1955 and the it has the HP letters above the serial number. I contacted B&H quite some years ago now and they told me that the instrument was pitched higher than 400 hz - I don't quite remember what the pitch actually was perhaps 440 - 457 hz. The idea was to cause the player to stand out from the pack because the instrument sounded 'different' to the norm, but it got out of hand it seems. Bagpipers are experiencing the same need to stand out in competition at the present time, and their pitch is getting up around 470hz, I think.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    When I started in Brass Bands in 1958 in New Zealand, the official pitch designated by the NZBBA (NZ Brass Bands' Association) was the old High Pitch (around A=452). This meant that all the pianos at competitions had to be tuned to that pitch - what a nightmare. Boosey and Hawkes, and Besson were about the only companies making these High Pitch instruments at the time, so our choices were somewhat limited. Sometime in the mid 60s the official pitch came down to A=440 and we had to either buy new instruments or have extensions made. Another nightmare.

Things gradually settled - my first "low pitch" instrument was one of the early Yamaha cornets. I was the first high profile player (World Championship) to use a Yamaha cornet in a brass band.

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I have a Boosey and Hawkes "78" Embassay cornet 362xxx which would make it 66-67 era. Student cornet much like some Besson models, Stratford, etc. as you might expect. Decent player. I also have a B&H Embassay trumpet of that era which is a very good player and well built.