Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Tootsall, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    A bandmate has a B & H Imperial fugelhorn that he purchased, BRAND NEW only about 5 years ago (it's an early 70's production horn that sat on the back shelf in a little store in southern Alberta until he happened to discover it). He has been told that the Imperial model had a relatively limited production model and was considered top of the line in it's day.

It's in perfect condition and he is interested in selling it but isn't sure what kind of realistic market value it might carry. Can anyone provide some guidance? We'll check Ebay but suspect that if it's a short-run model there won't be much history on it there.

Lacquer finish, excellent condition. I have seen it but not examined it so I can't say if there are any dings or dents... but he is extremely careful with his instruments so I think it's probably in A-1 condition.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.... how about you brass-banders in UK?

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    When I was growing up in brass bands in the 60s and 70s the B&H Imperial was THE horn to have. They pre-dated the Sovereign line...I'm pretty sure that they were around for quite a while, I suspect for 10-20 years but one of the guys from the UK will be able to confirm this or shoot me down.

As to value can't really say, I haven't seen a flugel around but occasionally the cornets come up and those in the 'know' snap them up. I've recently (12 months ago) played a 60s Imperial Eupho that would blow the socks off most new ones (My personal favourite from the era is the 'New Standard')

Sorry about not coming up with a value but hope this helps some.

Regards,

Trevor

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Thanks, Trevor. Anyone else want to take a shot at this? Leigh? are you lurking about? Noel?

4. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    I used to play Solo Cornet in a UK Brass band and played a Besson Imperial. It was an OK instrument but my friend had a Bossey and Hawkes Sovereign which played a lot better. I think the Besson Imperial was a cornet made for the military bands. From my recolection of my Brass Band days the Imperials were considered top of the line in their day. I am not sure what it would be worth though now.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Woah there. Steady on. :) We're talking the Imperial Flugelhorn, not the cornet. Rewind, press "start".

6. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    When I started playing flugel with a brass band back in 1988 after playing soprano cornet for 20 years or so, I believe the flugel supplied was an Imperial. I certainly couldn't get on with it even after practising 2 hours daily. :cry: I bought my Bach Strad three months later and it was like a breath of fresh air. :lol: I haven't looked back since. I certainly wouldn't buy a 2nd hand B&H Imperial. Have a look at this Hawkes model (I believe this is the model used by Tara Fitzgerald in the film Brassed Off) this might give you some idea of what the Imperial might go for. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3733599575&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

7. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Ed,

I realised the post was about the Imperial Flugel. I was giving you information re. the Imperial line from my Brass Band experience as it sounded like you didn't know a lot about the Imperial line. I thought it might help and would be interesting.

8. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Hi Ed, yes I have been lurking rather than posting too much lately - I have been very busy since I got back from Japan, what with selling my house and starting work on 'A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum' at the Royal National Theatre ( more about that show later).

My first decent instrument was a B&H Imperial Long-model Cornet which my parents bought for me in about 1970 when I was 7 years old. It was finished in frosted silver plate with shiny accents (a bit like the highlighting on my Eclipse) and, unusually for the time had 1st and 3rd valve triggers. It was definitely considered the top of the range made by B&H at the time and was my transitional instrument from cornet to trumpet.

I have not seen an Imperial flugel but I would suspect that it is also a pretty decent instrument of its kind. However I am sure it would appeal more to the brass band market rather than to the comercial or jazz players of today. I may be wrong but I woiuld not expect to pay more than £100/£150 for a horn like that - but of course if somebody is really after a particular horn they may pay much more.

In my opinion the Hawkes flugel is a much more interesting instrument - an earlier and more elegant design - I love the symetry of that horn - and I know they play beautifully ( my Dad has one in his collection of vintage English brass instruments - about 80 horns and counting). I think that if the Imperial plays well then it would be good to sell it on to someone who will get some enjoyment from using it, but I wouldn't bank on making a fortune from the sale.

All the best, Noel.

9. jo-rae-me

jo-rae-me New Friend

Apr 9, 2004
    Hi...My son played an Imperial flugel last year, infact he played it for about a year and a half. And in years past...many years in fact...I learnt on an Imperial cornet. I still own one...but it hardly comes out of its case. I just dont want to part with it. :) Now as to experience with the flugel...they were a top of the line instrument about 20 years ago. Many advances have been made in the last 20 years. My son had trouble with intonation ....mainly the lower notes. They were just way out. He was pretty good at lipping them, but..you shouldnt have to. I dont think your instrument will command a great price. No matter how new it looks. Unfortunately...they dont have speedos to tell you what sort of mileage they have done. Good luck if you decide to sell....but this is one black duck who won't be interested. Sorry. Once bitten...twice shy.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Thanks for all the replies, folks. Alan, after checking out the site you showed me I can assure you that this particular flugel does not have the horizontal slides such as shown there. It is "regular" with vertical slides.

Noel, thanks for your input. You pretty much confirmed what I suspected. When the owner asked me about it (maybe he was thinking I'd buy it, maybe not... he knows I have a Jupiter flugel since we played the flugel duet from Finlandia), I was thinking that the only people who "might" give him what he's thinking he'd get would be a serious collector.

Jo, thanks for your input as well. Brass banding is definitely NOT as common in Canada as it is in Oz; although we have a few (and a couple of them are darn fine ones... Hannaford Street Silver Band being but one) the only chance I think he has of finding a serious player who wants it is going to be to hang it up in Ebay and see what shakes out of the tree. What with all the REALLY GOOD flugels like Kanstul, Lawler, Conn, & Yamaha hanging about and the GREAT flugel that Eclipse now has I think it's going to be a hard sell for him. But he can afford it, he's a lawyer.