Boosey & hawkes serial numbers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by velcrohead, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  2. velcrohead

velcrohead New Friend

Jul 14, 2013
    Is it possible that a consignment of boosey & hawkes long cornets were sent to the U.S. and were given their own batch number beginning with 181 etc. because these instruments appear to be related, and if they were imitations, then why not use numbers that would fit in with the timeline? It would be just as easy to put a boosey & co emblem on them ?
    I am just looking at all the angles, because this instrument plays well and is of good craftmanship.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Most B&H instruments bearing the name "Oxford" seem to turn up in the (ahem) "former colonies". They could possibly be stencils manufactured on behalf of B&H as low cost instruments for overseas markets. That wouldn't necessarily make them bad instruments since B&H would still want to protect their reputation.

Instruments in the US may well have found their way via Canada.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't know about instruments with a Boosey & Hawkes label, but when they owned Besson some in the USA were made by Kanstul in California. I've two such, one being the 609. Thus, I'm thinking Boosey & Hawkes was as much a marketer of stencils as and if they were manufacturers themselves. Some of the Besson instruments were manufactured in India also. Thereby, such could have been quite a scramble of serial numbers.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Makes sense, Ed. I know B&H exported little into the US due to the many established brands and high import duties

6. velcrohead

velcrohead New Friend

Jul 14, 2013
    So, it looks like we may have a possible solution, but how to prove it ? Where would I start to look ( if anywhere )? Maybe I should send it back to the colonies where it belongs, but wait ! I am in australia, and we are still one of the colonies ! So what to do with it?

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Did HRH forget to grant you independence? I'd kick up a fuss if I were you. Mind you, if Nigeria is anything to go by......

8. velcrohead

velcrohead New Friend

Jul 14, 2013
    HRH needs us to pay for her/their trips, and it is a great excuse to come and visit. We don't mind because we would have to change our flag, and that would be a pain.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    At this stage I think there is little hope of tracing the history of it, have it serviced, valves aligned and enjoy playing it.

Where in Aus are you?

Regards, Stuart.