Boosey Silbron

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by psalt, May 6, 2004.

1. psalt

psalt New Friend

Jan 15, 2004
    Australia
    Does anyone have information on a Boosey Silbron trumpet.
    Peter Salt

2. Cornet

Cornet New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    What do you want to know about it??!! By the way, it's "Solbron".

3. psalt

psalt New Friend

Jan 15, 2004
    Australia
    The trumpet I have has Silbron engraved on the bell.
    I would like to know
    1 What does the name Silbron mean
    2 What year of manufacture would serial no 124664 be
    3 Was it designed as an orchestral trumpet
    I'd appreciate any information at all.
    Peter Salt

4. joeebrown

joeebrown New Friend

Nov 4, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Peter - the serial number indicates that the trumpet was made in 1925. It would probably have "Boosey & Co" written on the bell and not "Boosey & Hawkes". I don't know what 'Silbron' stands for, probably just a catchy name. They also made a 'Solbron' which was a slightly earlier model. The Silbron and Solbron names were also used on there cornets. I have a 1919 Silbron cornet.

5. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    'Solbron' is the model type and the name comes from the metal used in the valves, a combination of 'solder' and bronze. 'Silbron' is the later improved models name and is a combination of rthe words 'silver' and 'bronze'. These names denote Boosey's top line models in that era.

6. joeebrown

joeebrown New Friend

Nov 4, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Dear 'Cornet1' - I really appreciate your respnse and explanation for the 'Silbron' name. I am having a lot of trouble finding any extended information on the Boosey and Co Cornets of this type. I have a 1919 model 'Silbron'. The silver plating and overal condition are fantastic but the valves are not so great and are are a bit gritty. Do you have any idea what the N.V.A and 'Class A' on the bell signify and why Boosey has a different serial on the bell and the valve casing. I believe the serial to date the instrument by is the one on the valve casing. Thanks again. I should have know that someone in England would have the answers on this one.

7. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    There should only be one serial number,..a six digit number 104xxx to 108xxx (1920) Any other number is not a serial number so suspect a military marking.

For gritty valve action give attention to the rectangular brass sliders on the valves and th keyways inside the valve jacket that they run down. The sliders/pins may be worn out of shape by the same fingers over years or may need smoothing.

'Class A' is found on most cornets of that era ie., between 1880 and 1955 and denotes top line manufacture. I forget how this 'class' system came into being but I have never seen a 'class B' as I remember.

I have no direct knowledge about 'NVA' but a recent argument in our bandroom was over whether it stands for 'neutral valve action', 'negative valve action' or 'new valve action'. In that era there were lots of makers essentially making the same instruments so most makes tend to have a lot of engraving claiming various differences,..there may aslo be 'medals of honour' etc.

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    There is some info on Horn-u-copia and go to the Boosey and Hawkes line, then find Boosey and Co cornets/
    Someone wrote in in 06 about his great grandfather's cornet with bell info:
    Solbron
    (registered)
    Class A
    Tradmark Boosey
    LIGHT VALVE
    Boosey and Co Makers,
    London
    Guaranteed British made throughout
    Number in middle valve block 79075
    Answer by Pryorphone, moderator, is c. 1918-19. Bb cornet, high pitch.
    semi-tone highter than A=440
    There is a picture of a solbron class A model Eb cornet, 115725, c. 1922
    Also a Boosey, Class A , Light Valve, bell ser.,57xxx, valve ser. 47xxx.
    Also: a Boosey Solbron cornet of apparently later date with the short curve upper slide with spitvalve, bending back to the large tuning slide, as was common.

There are other Boosey Distin and other models on the page.

There is not much on Boosey trumpets, just a photo of an adjustable pitch trumpet, 9759B c 1920's. owned by someone in Poland

9. JodiDawn84

JodiDawn84 New Friend

Dec 3, 2009
    I just found a trumpet in the attic at the school I'm student teaching at and it's a silver Solbron (registered) Class A from Boosey & Co. On the bell the following inscription is written:

Solbron (registered) Class A
    Trademark Boosey
    Light valve
    Boosey & Co
    Makers. London
    Guaranteed British Made Throughout
    The RS Williams & Songs Ltd Toronto

on the valve it reads 73530; the first valve is 36; 2nd is 35; 3rd is 34.

Middle valve is also marked with 72530.

Any info on this trumpet?

THanks!

10. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Reference the other posts in the earlier thread. Apparently sold by that Williams co. in Canada.