Bore size confusion

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Beau Kemp, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Beau Kemp

Beau Kemp New Friend

Oct 28, 2005
    Arkansas
    I think there is a discrepancy on the Getzen website. On the Genesis page, at the top it says .462" bore. But in the description at the bottom it says it has a .464" valve set. I don't know much, so I may be wrong, but shouldn't those numbers match?
    Perhaps someone could explain what "Bore" really means? When someone says a horn is .459", where on the instrument does that measurement come from? Could a horn have 2 different bore sizes?

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Usually 'bore' reflects tubing size measured at the second valve slide.

However, lots of trumpets have somewhat varying bore sizes through the length of the horn. Some are conical and start smaller at the receiver and expand all the way to the joining of the bell and the valve block. Others have very large venturi at the lead pipe and have a choke at the same junction (the valve block and bell). Some horns actually mix the bore size (non linearly) to suit the designer's concept. Most, if not all, trumpets do not have the same bore size from the receiver to the bell.

Don't get carried away with bore size. In the real world it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Regards,

Trevor

3. Beau Kemp

Beau Kemp New Friend

Oct 28, 2005
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the excellent reply. Things make much more sense now! :-)