Bore size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Feb 6, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would say IF you like it get it. Talk to Trent, he's a top notch guy and voice your concerns. I was just saying anytime you move to something bigger, it's an adjustment. If you're just starting back, I say, it won't matter much. You don't like the Bach, so... ! Just sayin'.. . Keep us in the loop.:thumbsup:

2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I would suggest simply talking to Doug Mains at Austin Winds - 512-788-5757.
    Or email them: [email protected]

Doug is very helpful and can answer any of your questions.

Here is one testimonial (of many) from their website:

After owning many various brands and types of Bb trumpets through the years, I'd have to say that the Austin Stage 470LT is one of the finest horns I've played. Being partial to a larger bore horn, the response I get from this horn is awesome. The horn also allows for a nice round deep tone in the middle registers and a great cutting edge in the "dogs crying" range. Great for lead, solo and general playing!!! If you haven't tried one yet, you're missing out!
    - Keith Fiala, Former Trumpeter with Maynard's Big Bop Nouveau Band

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
  4. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    I don't think anyone has answered the question, "why do horn manufactures list bore sizes for their horns?" I've actually read this entire thread and have failed to see an explanation for this whether or not it has any factor to the overall instrument itself. The Austin Wind URL link was interesting about slotting but is this it. Does bore size alone allow for wider or narrower slotting? I think I'm more confused about the subject than when I first started reading this thing. Is the ML the best of both.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Manufacturers list bore size because they think that the customers want the number. A bigger bore is perceived to be more "professional" and freer blowing but this is not backed up by the physics.

The interest in slotting is common until the player gets a really "tight" slotting instrument and discovers that it is often not as flexible - or is actually harder to play because the air just doesn't seem to flow. I wish that many players would just forget the numbers and just play everything that they can get their hands on. At that point they figure out that there is a difference between talking about something and really doing it.

Many parameters of the trumpet are not mutually exclusive, you just need to have tried it to know what you are talking about.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I agree with all of this. I've had trumpets with bore sizes from .438 to .468 and as far as I can tell, the number is essentially meaningless when it comes to what the actual blow is like.

Slotting is another term that is somewhat misleading .... And I agree, a tight slotting trumpet can be very restrictive. There are no numbers for slotting, it's totally subjective as to what's tight and what's loose. A very tight slotting trumpet, while possibly getting you some easier intonation, is worthless for jazz IMO, and should only be considered for legit purposes.

A very open slotted trumpet (like my '24 Martin Handcraft), while hard to get used to, is more like singing. Once a comfort zone is established, it's flexible in every way imaginable and lets you do things you can't do on a very tight horn.

The individual characteristics don't mean a whole lot when you try to talk about them in isolation. When they all come together for you in one instrument, you feel it. All the numbers and specifications can go right out the window, it's just right.

Turtle

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    In layman's terms, it's simply marketing.:-)

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Well, as some people like to say in Texas, "We're fixin' to find out!"

A large bore (.470) trumpet will be arriving on my doorstep in a matter of weeks (custom built), and I'll be happy to report my findings as to the difference, if any, from my other horns.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's the problem...how do you attribute the horn's playing characteristics to the bore size? There are so many other design parameters to take into account, it's impossible to say "the horn is free-blowing due to the large bore", or "the horn has a mellow sound due to the large bore", or whatever - get the idea? The closest a person making a comparison can get to isolating playing characteristics due to bore size is to take two mass-produced trumpets with the same specs, other than bore size, and play test them. Even then, minor variances between the manufacture of the instruments can cloud the comparison...plus, you don't know what the manufacturer compromised using one bore over the other.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Dale, EXACTLY! That's why it's a marketing thing.