Bore size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Feb 6, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the bore is different, then they can't be the same. Somewhere on the horn you have to make up for the couple of thousandths in size - or put up with a step in the bore.

My large bore Bach C has a medium sized bore (.453) where the bell starts but large bore at the second valve.. Bach obviously did that for some reason.

I have given my best based on many years of paying attention. It is frustrating sometimes seeing BS repeated over and over again.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's the type of thing I was suggesting - most horns of different bore sizes made by the same manufacturer share many common parts. Something has to be compromised, or different, in the construction of one or two of the horns to accomodate the common-sized parts to the various pieces with the different bores.

3. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    In technical terms, what rowuk is describing, is called a "choke".
    It is mainly used on large bore horns (i.e. 0.470"),
    and is put on (inside the tube) the bell,
    were the bell is attached to the valve casing

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. mckibbinusa

mckibbinusa New Friend

Feb 19, 2010
    State College, PA
    For the record, the bore size of the trumpet matters a great deal -- modern trumpeters have tended toward a darker fluid sound in recent years, and I suppose that the bore size will matter little for these players -- however, bravura trumpeters such as Al Hirt and Harry James all played large or extra-large bore horns -- the reason becomes clear when you are on stage playing over a band to the back of the room (which is how I play) -- when I solo, I am resonating a very "big sound" that is painted across the "back of the room" (these are words I was taught by my trumpet teacher 40 years ago) -- at my best, the sound is captivating for audiences -- a a bruvura trumpeter, I need rely upon my large bore horn more than ever -- it's hard to explain except to other bravura players -- that's my view as a trumpeter with 45 years as a solo artist under his belt -- thank you for the opportunity to comment..

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Yeah, because Maynard was certainly incapable of bravura playing on his .438-bore Connstellation...