Bore size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Feb 6, 2011.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

As Rowuk says - it is one part of many components
    Often the horns will be designed with larger bores being more open (why its always listed)

As to why every horn isn't a .460 - well, some designs wouldn't balance right. Since a horn is the sum/balance of its components, some horns need bigger bores, some smaller. Depends on the overall goals of the maker/designers

2. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Perfect example is the Conn Connstellations. .438 bore, same as the old 22B peashooters, but the blow is VERY open thanks to the bell taper, leadpipe, it's just part of the balance.

Take that same horn, blow out the bore and you'll have an almost unplayable beast. One of the problems I've had with my old college horn, the Holton ST301 MF was the giant sewer pipe leadpipe with a fast flared bell mated with the .468 bore. No balance. Even Maynard fixed that in a matter of months when the ST 302 arrived with a different bell.

More than one pro advised me that 90% of what determines the blow is the mpc/leadpipe. You must try a horn first before reading into blanket statements about one element of the build.

ed

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Marketing buzz words.

Bracing also plays a large part in how the horn place. I could shift a brace on your horn 1/4 inch and you would notice a difference in the way it played.

The Jupiter 600 compared to the 1602 is obviously going to be different. The 600 is a student level horn. Its materials, tapers and design are totally different. Being the same brand doesn't matter.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Bore size = Marketing Buzz Words (Hype).

OK, if a person is going to order a custom built trumpet with 3 bore options, how would you make a determination as to which size to select?

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have a very good Lawler C7c that I believe is a .460 bore, it plays nice and open and even through the scale. For grins and giggles a couple of days ago I got one of my wifes old [1930s] King SilverTone out and that puppy plays almost as open as my C7c. The King is a med. bore but feels like at least a ml. I would play that horn more but I like the sound of the C7c better, just a little richer.

6. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA

My comparison was between the 1602 and 1604, same horn, different bore.

7. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Rowuk is correct, as usual.

Bore size is a small, insignificant variable.

I tried several Strad 43 ML horns together before selecting what is now my horn, all with my single mouthpiece. Each had it's own distinct character and feel. All 0.459 bore size. I think just regular maintenance and cleaning a trumpet + mouthpiece does more for tone/feel than changing bore size by a fraction of an inch.

8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Take the Getzen 3003 Genesis. It has Interchangeable leadpipe system with 2 leadpipes
    (S = Standard; O = Open) for the same trumpet. Bore Size .462. I played it for a while at NAMM changing leadpipes and found the O leadpipe was easier for me to play with everything else including the bore size being the same on the trumpet. Just my 3 1/2 Cents.

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    I have this, CarolBrass CCR688R-SLB (old model #) with 0.460" bore

[​IMG]

And I have also this, CarolBrass CCR6882GSS-SLB (new model #) with 0.465" bore

[​IMG]

Well, it is the same picture, but no one could have spotted the difference
    of 0.005" of the bore size anyway.
    The horns are identical except from the logo and bore size.

The main reason that I have the same horn with two different bore sizes
    was to compare the difference "soundwise" and "blowwise".

Mouthpiece: Denis Wick 4B heavy top
    The 0.460 plays with a "sweet" sound.
    The 0.465 plays with a "broader" sound.
    The 0.460 has more "resistanse" in the blow than the 0.465.
    The 0.460 blends into a BBB style cornet section
    The 0.465 blends better into a BBB style cornet section
    The 0.460 doesn't tear you out as fast as the 0.465
    Both plays easier and better in tune than my Sovereign 928
    The 0.465 would be choice 1 for sections and 0.460 would be
    a good choice for the principal and repiano players and soloists.
    (Short story: The 0.465 was grabbed by one of the ladies in my brass band.
    She didn't do it only because of the cool finish, but because she sounded good
    and improved her intonation.
    She owns a Sov with the famous medallion on the bell. I might have to sell the 0.465 to her.)

I use the 0.460 as principal in my local BB, and also use it for soloing in the church.
    My Soveriegn 928 is retired and is collecting dust...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  10. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have a .470 and a .460 horn, as well as a .464 cornet (which measures .470 at the second valve - oops). The differences in air push are minimal, but the sound is different, which, at least for me, puts me in agreement with Rowuk. Again, it is the individual player who makes the difference, along with mpc, horn construction, etc. You ask for advice on a forum, which you will receive, but remember the adage of the blind men describing the part of an elephant that they were feeling.