Bore size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Feb 6, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

This explains why a small bore trumpet (Conn 38b Connstellation) can feel just like a medium large bore trumpet at low volumes. Then, and the bore doesn't change, it feels like a much smaller bore trumpet when you push it for volume. Other factors are at work here, like the leadpipe taper and the bell flare.

A small bore can be extremely efficient, but ony if you play it that way. When I'm relaxed, I can take a huge breath, blow all of it out, and then play the Connstellation (with no breath) for another 20 seconds or so. If you try to muscle it or overblow .... you'll use up air that you don't need.

ANY bore trumpet can be played more efficiently. Learning how to play efficiently is a lot cheaper and less time consuming than hunting for the "right" trumpet.

Turtle

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    To further illustrate my objective, the original question was introduced to assist in making decisions as to which options to select. I'm in the process of ordering a totally custom built trumpet from CarolBrass. Yes, CarolBrass is my new favorite brand. This will add to my small collection of horns, and is not meant to replace any of my existing trumpets. They are all fun to play...even my 2335.

I'm not "hunting" at all. Just looking for good advice on this issue so an intelligent decision can be made. Some very good input has been provided by a dealer rep, plus one of my teachers.

3. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    What I wrote and also explained in my previous post:

"The horns are identical except from the logo and bore size.

The main reason that I have the same horn with two different bore sizes
    was to compare the difference "soundwise" and "blowwise"."

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Did I understand you to say you favored the .460 over the .465?

5. Donald

Donald New Friend

Jul 27, 2010
    Windsor, Canada
    The bore size is measured at the second valve. It is one of many factors that define an instrument. You cannot call a Conn 38B or 28A a peashooter just because it has a small bore. That 38B or 28A in the right hands will put the largest bore trumpet to shame. Talking "bore" is like talking about an athlete's shoe size. Does bigger shoes make you faster or slower?????

6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Suppose you knew the bore size and the length of the lead pipe to where it entered the valve block?

Would that be informative enough? Since theoretically you know the back bore size at the mouthpiece adapter, then you could calculate the taper of the horn.

Otherwise it seems like a cornet having the same bore size as a trumpet yet a lead pipe that is several inches longer and a narrower mouthpiece adapter... I'm going to have to agree with rowuk, not enough information to tell.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Why did you use the same picture for both?

Pic 1 - http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/nordlandstrompet/CCB688R-SLB.jpg

Pic 2 - http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/nordlandstrompet/CCB688R-SLB.jpg

8. nordlandstrompet

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Well...because....

"Well, it is the same picture, but no one could have spotted the difference
    of 0.005" of the bore size anyway.
    The horns are identical except from the logo and bore size."

"(Short story: The 0.465 was grabbed by one of the ladies in my brass band.
    She didn't do it only because of the cool finish, but because she sounded good
    and improved her intonation.
    She owns a Sov with the famous medallion on the bell. I might have to sell the 0.465 to her.)"

So, I didn't have it in my house when I wrote the post, so I had to take a few
    pictures at the rehearsal tonight. Here they are, without any Photoshopping:D:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. nordlandstrompet

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    I need to have more time for comparison, but at the moment, for the music
    I play at the moment, the 0.460 feels best for me.

10. nordlandstrompet

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Sorry, that was one of the worst sentences I have ever written :oops: