Bore size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Feb 6, 2011.

1. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Thank you! :worthy:

Since I have played french horn much more than trumpet, I just can't get hung up on bore size....the point of all of my ramblings!!!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am always amazed at the nature of the responses. For all of you that may be interested, calculate the difference in the volume of air in the otherwise identical horns, factor in the damping qualities of the air and then tell me that that is the reason for anything compared to the differences in YOUR daily playing. If you pick traditional Bach instruments, the valve bore is the same on the ML and L horns.

The difference is not the bore as playing a bright as hell Benge .470 and a dark as night Bach Vindabona with a M bore will prove. The differences between horns can be much more easily explained elsewhere.

All is not equal. The difference in bore for a very short proportion of the entire horn may be 5 thousandths different.

Resonant frequency is determined by length on cylindrical tubing and volume of air for irregularly shaped objects.

If the designer of a horn decides to combine various parameters then a change in bore could allow a difference when all is NOT equal. My point is that BORE is not a factor by itself and that if the player notices a difference - it wasn't the bore rather that all was not equal.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This is a "boring" thread! ROFLROFL

TRUMPED YA!:bleah::bleah:

4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Heck, I AM a large bore!!!!! :-P

5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    What I'm getting from Rowuk is if you want to know about the different bore size you can't unless you take the horns apart and just blow directly into the valve block of each horn. That many things other than Bore Size effect sound, blow, resistance of a horn. Material, lead pipe, lead pipe taper, bell, size of bell, tuning slide and tuning slide shape, bracing, type of bead, thickness of the brass, type of brass, whether it is lacquer, raw or plated and on and on.
    Rowuk, am I close?

6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    [​IMG]
    All I have to contribute to this thread.

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Well, since I'm from Alabama, I have to say that this fabled image is NOT of a wild boar, but a tame family pet that became too large (over 1,000 pounds) for the family to manage. They sold it to a hunting preserve in Clay County where it was shot as "wild game." Shooting this particular boar hog would be equivalent to shooting someone's dog. Shooting an animal that would eat out of your hand is nothing the "hunter" should brag about regardless of its size. True wild boars are an invading species doing great harm to our ecosystem and should be removed by hunting pressure. This was no wild animal. :thumbdown:

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I remember something about this story. And I think it was a barrow, not a boar.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Big Daddy,
    there are posters here that just don't get it or are more interested in post count rather than content. Anything in life is much more than the sum of its parameters. I consider the one-liner questions to be more of an annoyance rather than true search for knowledge. No one factor by itself is significant for anything - except the parameter of quantity of time sensibly applied to learning something. The true artisan has hundreds if not thousands of options that can work, but only picks a handfull to realize their dreams. There are reasons for that. Giving the geek hundreds of options does not create better horns. Giving the geek a bit of background on the parameters does not help to make decisions. It only makes the nerd nerdier.

A musical instrument is a complex device. I personally think that a glass of wine/water/Koolaid or milk before a performance will have more affect on what the audience "hears" than all of this bore BS/bell thickness/plating/lacquer pseudo discussion (factoids).

This is however an open internet forum and I do not moderate "waste of time" out, although I do get enough PMs asking me to do so.

10. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    One thing I wonder about when this comes up from time to time is a practical one:

Some horn manufacturers make Horns to order I believe . . . Marcinkwicz I think might be an example of this. In such cases, do they have samples of different settle to try, or alternatively, how do you select the configuration when play before you pay doesn't appear to be a possibility?