Bore size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Feb 6, 2011.

1. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    There are a lot of members around here with a sense of humour, who speaks the metric system,
    and often refers to BAR as pressure, not always as a part in a piece of music.
    I would guess that there is also quite a few that has played for decades, and know what they are talking about.
    There is also some people that does experiments and post the results on this forum,
    as text and pictures as replies to asked questions.
    Some of these people have also experience as conductors, mechanics and have some
    first hand experience about how a trumpet is built.

Unfortunately there is also some without a sense of humor that takes everything that doesn't fits
    to their own opinion as a personal insult and yell at the members that ask a fair question
    according to their own knowledge.
    No one has ever seen any personal efforted experiments or whatever,
    but only links to other peoples work when they are refferring to any kind of "scientific stuff".

The persons with a sense of humor have never insulted anyone or anything with
    a language that they could not speak face to face. These same persons does not have
    "counting posts" as a main hobby.
    The same persons "gets it", but starts to wonder if there is any use to contribute
    any more to a forum that is pretty much conducted by control freaked techniques
    based on dragging other peoples contributions/opinions through the mud!

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ooooooooo ...... now you're going to get it, you seem to have upset my Norsk mate .... that's not nice.

I say to my students fairly often - if, at this point you DO NOT UNDERSTAND the technicality of the subject, do me the courtesy of simply believing what I say and trust me the AHA moment WILL come.

All I can do for you with respect to bore is to tell you that the Boeing 707, Boeing 727 and Boeing 737 all have the same diameter (read bore) and they are entirely different machines.

Sorry, you blokes started the stupidity, the thread got out of hand a long while ago and seemed, to me, to lose it's capacity to educate and entertain me - that's when I find the need to poke the borax at something. Please don't think anyone, in particular is my target - but what the hell are you all on about?

3. SammyFlow

SammyFlow New Friend

Jan 6, 2011
    I'd like to know what axe Trumpet Dreamer saw with .470 bore. Is that a common bore? I understand that bore is a negligible factor in and of itself...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The Wild Thing trumpet has a .470 bore.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have a couple Conn cornets with a .485 bore...that's getting into small trombone bore territory...:-o

6. SammyFlow

SammyFlow New Friend

Jan 6, 2011
    .485? Ridiculous...

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Thing is, the cornets are designed around that bore size, so you really can't tell they're huge by playing them.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I just passed on a Conn 29B. It's got a .485 bore, but it looked like it could have had red rot and the seller wouldn't show me pictures of the valves.

9. melodictrumpet

melodictrumpet New Friend

Nov 23, 2010
    Planet Earth
    It doesn't matter that much. Bore size is measured at the second valve tuning slide which says nothing about the rest of the instrument. Things like the lead pipe or main tuning slide, or bell throat or flare make a far greater impact on the blow and playing of the instrument.

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Austin Winds trumpets have a .470 bore.