Bore size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Feb 6, 2011.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Plus each manufacturer can interpret what that means as no standards board is holding them to their published specs. My earlier point a few pages back was that IF you do increase the bore size of a significant portion of the horn, such as the tuning slide, you will hear (darker) and probably feel (more openness) a difference.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    My teacher just got his first look at my new Connstellation (bore: .438) and after he played it, he commented on how open it was. Large bore? he asked.:lol:

Turtle

3. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    OK...let's assume this, size DOES matter, but only within the context of the entire trumpets design parameters.

Fair enough?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't know if it's still this way, but Schilke didn't/doesn't give out bore sizes for it's horns because they say that it is only one of many factors that contribute to the performance of any particular horn.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, no. I think you would do better by looking at successful horns and what the designers did and then ask why. For instance: an XL bore Benge 5X with a relatively thin, resnotempered bell, and long throw valves says quite a bit and has a lot of room for interpretation. The interesting thing is that how people describe the results is VERY similar. The same would apply to a Bach 229H large bore C trumpet. The artisans value judgements gave those horns specific playing characteristics and color that can only be judged holistically.

Just like blonde and intelligent are not mutually exclusive, neither is any symptom or characteristic with a trumpet. That is why I think questions singling out parameters are simply useless. You do not learn anything in the pseudo discussions or presented factoids.

6. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Gotta go with rowuk on this one. Ther is alreadya standing column of air in any horn that does not require more blowing with wider bores. My flugel, of course has a much larger bore than my trumpets, but don't require more air to blow.:play:

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    ”Bore is measured at the 2 valve slide”.
    So far the whole world would agree.

[​IMG]

Statement: “Bach uses the ML valve block (0.460”) also for L bore (0.465”/0.470”)!”

Why does Bach, or how can Bach then tell the whole world that the L-bore is 0.465”/0.470”?
    Well, maybe Bach makes the 4 tuning slides from 0.465”/0.470” tubes?
    And: makes the leadpipe with a more open venturi than on the ML 0.460” models?

Statement: “Everything is equal, except from the bore size”.

A lot of blondes (may be as many as 11 out of 10) would have agreed that if the bore
    in the valveset was increased, all the tubings/tuning slides included the main tuning slide,
    should be increased accordingly. If not, they would surely have been very disappointed.

So, when I stated that “Everything is equal, except from the bore size”, I took it for
    granted that it was obvious that there was no doubt about that the bore size continued
    through the valve set and also into/through the 3 valve slides.
    If not, there had been no point in ML, L or XL bores, and theoretically one could build
    a 4/4 BBb tuba around a 0.460” valve set.

What I posted here:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/bore-size-59507-2.html#post541282

has stated that two identical cornets, with different bore sizes, same bell and mp,
    has different characteristics.

Two identical cornets with different bore size looks like this, but doesn't feel and sound as equal as they look:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  8. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Just had the rare opportunity to play my brother in law's mint condition 1956 38B Connie. I'm sure there are other factors involved, but both my Yamaha & Getzen are freer blowing than the Connstellation. The 38B is a very nice horn with a wonderful rich tone, just felt like it wanted to back up on me when I tried to push it. None of my other horns do this (except my flugel) and they are all .459 bores.

9. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I just read a thread that posted thi link: http://www.smithwatkins.com/pdf/gerttingtech01.pdf. In it, tHe author, Richard Smith, apparently the designer of the 928 Sovereign for Boosey and Hawks, relates bore size to slots... Larger bore equals larger slots allowing for more movement or bending of notes within the slots...

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Never had the opportunity to play a Connie yet, but several players I know have said the same thing. nice tone but backs up on them.