Bore size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Feb 6, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

The Connstellation's bore is .438. SEE .... size does matter.:lol:

That characteristic of resistance coming in when you push it is DESIGNED INTO THE HORN. It's supposed to be that way ..... If you are used to very open trumpets and blowing hard, it will feel like it's backing up on you. With a lighter approach, it's perfect. It's very efficient and takes some getting used to.

Turtle

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What's a lighter approach? ;-)

turtlejimmy likes this.
  3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    If you normally think this ...... "Blow hard for maximum projection intended to knock down that wall at the back of the club ...."

Try thinking this ..... "Blow easily for maximum pleasantness of tone intended to waft lightly on the ears of that gorgeous woman in the red dress at table #9 ...." :lol:

That should do it.

Turtle

4. cbates9

cbates9 New Friend

Feb 16, 2011
    Commerce, TX
    I am a comeback player working on a music degree, and I'm in the market for a pro-level horn. I'm really interested in the Austin Winds 470LT Copper bell. My studio professor has expressed concern that the bore is so large. Whether the bore size makes a difference or not, this a very free blowing horn (which I really like the FEEL of)

My question to the more experienced guys out there, is how will playing a VERY open horn affect my playing positively or negatively. I really like the feeling of an open blow, but I don't know how this will work over an extended session. Any thoughts? :dontknow:

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    SOME, certainly not all, have encountered endurance issues associated with larger bore horns because you are blowing more air through the horn and it takes more out of you. You have to build endurance. Initially you'll be tired sooner.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    A friend of mine (professional trumpet player) has the Austin Winds horn...Copper bell, large bore and just loves the way it plays! His sessions run as long as 4 hours.

7. cbates9

cbates9 New Friend

Feb 16, 2011
    Commerce, TX
    I got a chance to play the Austin Winds horn at the TMEA Convention this month, and loved the dark tone and open blow of these horns. Being a comeback player, I already don't have a ton of endurance or range, and I was wondering how that may affect it. I'm currently playing a Bach Strad 37 and I really dislike how stuffy this particular horn feels. But I'm beginning to increase endurance and range, and I was just curious if that would make things harder. I know I'm going to have to grow into the horn, and will probably get it anyway, was just trying to cover all bases.

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama

1913 Conn Circus Bore cornet, bore: .485

[​IMG]

9. SammyFlow

SammyFlow New Friend

Jan 6, 2011
    This pic made me pee a little. If you're ever interested, I'll trade you a kidney for it.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This almost made me pee laughing!!ROFLROFL