Bore Size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by G-man-, Dec 3, 2011.

1. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    Hello,

I was just wondering what does the bore size of a trumpet change other than the fact bigger means more air needs to go through it?

Like eg: a ML bore .459 vs a .462 large bore...

How does that effect sound? Is it going to be brighter/woolier or is it just going to change the 'bigness' of the sound rather than the color of the sound? Will it add more volume/projection?

Also, can it 'offer' more if you can blow through it compare to a smaller bore and yet be used for the same stuff a smaller bore can to (meaning its just better if you can handle it as it offers everything a smallbore does + extra)

I think thats about it.

O btw- My other user name was Gxman, I couldnt remember the name so I thought it was deleted then I found it, has 200 or so posts on it, o well, starting again now.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Bore size is simply one parameter of trumpet design. It does NOT mean you need more air, because you don't move air through the horn, you set up a standing wave of sound. If you inhaled a lung full of smoke and blew into the horn the smoke would not come out the bell for a long time. One doesn't need to fill a horn with air, it already has air in it.

The factors which work together to determine the blow, or feel, are bore size, leadpipe design, bell design, bracing and metallurgy, mouthpiece gap, mouthpiece design and its compatibility with the player and with the trumpet, the shape of the turns, the port design of the valve block, and more. You cannot isolate bore size and conclude anything about it. You can find horns with a small bore and big blow (Conn Connstellation, 22B, 12B) and the opposite.

The biggest single factor is the nut behind the mouthpiece, and the mouthpiece itself is another very big factor.

3. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    You pretty much just blew my mind. I've never thought about that. :-o Thank you

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Ditto, Great responce!

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Smoke coming from a trumpet would be super cool!

Good logic, so when my band director says give it more air I will say that it already has enough air in it :lol:

Is there a certain mouthpiece better for different bores? Like a shallow for small bore and deep for large or is it the players preference?

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Tried the smoke thing before, it does take a LONG time haha. But smoking is bad for playing, I wouldn't advise making it a habit.

I've heard most players like the tight mouthpiece backbore - large bore trumpet combo, and likewise the open backbore-tight bore combo as well. I've tried it, usually helps keep the resistance right around the middle. I prefer the former for higher playing, but I think I just use medium-medium for classical style playing myself. Of course, as has been mentioned, the feel is also affected by many other parameters.

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I learned that bore size is not as important as I once thought. I normally play on a .470 bore horn. I changed from a Bach .459 bore horn to the .470. I really get along with it better than the Bach especially above the staff. The funny thing is I tried out a Conn Constellation and liked how it played better than my .470 bore horn. I have been told that the bore size of the Constellation is .438. There must be other factors that determine how different horns react for the player other than bore size.

8. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    I think I am even more confused now than before lol.

So really bore size means nothing in terms of the color of sound/volume etc, its more to do with the way it feels than anything else?

I like a trumpet that feels free.

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I think rereading the discussion; "How Does a Trumpet Work" would be in order for some of us. I've read it once in its entirety and always go back to it for reference. Absolutely brilliant and informational. Also good refeerences are given for further study. Thanks.

10. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Trying to figure out a good way to help with this..

Basically, the whole is not equal to the sum of the parts. The parts of the horn "interact" with each other to create an overall feel. Just because the bore is a certain size, doesn't mean it'll feel a certain way. You also have to consider the taper of the bore (Connstellations tend to have a bore that opens quickly, and so doesn't feel as tight). Bell flare has an effect -- sometimes a large bell flare will help reduce resistance feeling. I've heard some about bracing too. Refer back to Veery's reply.

What you should take from this is that measurements are of little meaning to anyone that does not MAKE horns, or thoroughly understand them, lol. I don't think there are many people on this forum that have that level of understanding (especially not me).