Bore Size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by G-man-, Dec 3, 2011.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    So will you stick with the 43?

2. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    Unless I find something else I like (Other than a Monette) yeah. 3 Different shops, 3 tests with all kinds of trumpets, from B&S to Yamaha to Schilke to Stomvi and to Schagerl, and each time I ended up finishing the test, the 43 strad was the one left over. So I tried 4 different 37 bell strads, 2 C bachs and now the 72 Bell and a 37 reverse lead, standard and LT. Again the 43 was the one left over 'standard weight bell'

The only thing I liked nearly as much as the 43 was the B5 Schilke, which apparently out of everything is the closest thing to the Strad '43' style bell. Almost sounded the same in every way, slightly 'brighter' however on the lower notes when played softly, this is kinda where I liked the Bach that little bit more, and the fact the strads 1000 cheaper was good enough for me.

So my top 2 choices were

Bach Strad 180S 43
    Schilke B5

And the funny part is that they almost sound the same as each other compare to all the others I tried, indicating to me that definitely must be the sound I am envisioning in my head.

Given I want a Monette and this is a temporary upgrade... I figured the 1000 difference between the bach and schilke was worth saving, especially since there was not (to me at least) much difference at all between sound.

Listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sozkaJwVJhY

That sound I fell in love with 2 years ago when I decided I want to play trumpet. Other than the reverb etc on it... somehow to me the 43 bell strad most closely matches it... its got that warm yet bright sound as he pushes it which pops out which I dont get from the 37 or the 72.

What is your guess on what trumpet he is using? Thats really the sound I got in my head that I am trying to match.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cody, that was his music shop conclusion. ion a concert hall or bedroom, I'll bet he would have a different favorite.

Stuffy is generally a function of how well you hear yourself. If the 72 was a bit less hearable than his current trumpet, than the first reaction is ALWAYS to blame the hardware. Most players cannot imagine that they are victims of their own habits...... and that a couple minutes in a music store are really not enough to develop a new relationship. I see a burning desire for love at first sight.

That being said, the right horn generally picks the player.

Ace Martin in the You Tube Flick is using a Bach with a reverse tuning slide and gold brass bell with some fancy engraving. Judging from the sound, he is using a somewhat shallower mouthpiece. There are YEARS of high quality practice time behind that brilliant tone - as well as some pretty heavy musicianship. A bit more about this fine musician:

http://www.kuzmich.com/Martin/biocredits.html

4. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    Hey!

Thats why I am not buying right away as I dont want to make any wrong decisions without going through all the variations. How on earth is one meant to try those 3 in a big big room (like a church or hall) and try it out?

Cant just buy all 3 and then return 2 after trying it out and where on earth do you borrow them to be able to 'really' try them out? Im trying to do the best with what I got and know and hence im asking more to make sure I know what I am doing. That is also why I post videos of things I like even though thats not a real test but there is something that in reality (not behind mic, effects etc) that produce the closest sound to what I am thinking

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    All the more reason to FORGET the numbers and pick a horn like picking a mate for life. Blonde, brunette or redhead are just single factors like bore. They do not determine compatibility. Picking a mate by the color can bore you to death!

You can't pick a horn with one shot at a music store. You need to try everyones horn that you know in all sorts of different situations. Seldom do we NEED a horn "tomorrow". Thake your time . The horn will find you.

6. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    Thanks Rowuk.

Luckily I took my time with the partner, took 4 years of 'courtship' and now I am married 2 years. Could not be happier.

I just don't think I got the patients to wait that long with the horn ROFL

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Pick them by response, and they'll love you to death!

[Just talking 'bout those trumpets; although the though of a Bavarian woman driving a plow has crossed my mind... No thanks to Vulgano Brother!]

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Since your talking about Bachs, I heard "Big Ray and the Kool Kats" the other day. Ray is a "Bach guy". He has 4 custom Bachs made to his specs. I found this all out when I spoke to him after the show. He was a little "cagey" I guess since he doesn't know me. The horn he used had a custom bell, leadpipe,and bore. The engraving was 1st class!! He didn't offer any more specifics other than to say the bore was bigger than .468. Point is, his sound was/is hot, fat, screaming but very focused. It didn't sound like a large bore (dark mellow). So try them all and take your time. Also, try out some Getzen horns so you don't have buyers remorse! :lol:

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Okay, the 43 is nice and all, you say you want a Monette. Have you ever tried a Monette or is it "That costs a lot, must be good, I want one!"
    You might try a Monette and not be amazed.

Since you are willing to save for a monette, find a Taylor. They are amazingly great horns.
    Taylor Trumpets

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    There are a few guys on here that make horns. There are guys on here that sell horns. There are guys on here that play horns. I think this is the best forum for trumpet players to put the mystique of trumpets/trumpet playing/trumpeters to rest. What I like about TM is that you get many decades of experience ( and opinions ) to guide trumpet players in their never ending quests for equipment and sound advice. You really can't beat it for the money. We can talk about a small bore versus a large bore forever. I think the proof is in the pudding. Pick up the horn ( large and small bores ) and play it. What does it do for you ?