Bore Size?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by G-man-, Dec 3, 2011.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Yup, got a few of them around here.

But really, I like Chuck said, just play the horn and you will know what you like and what you dont. Here is this, go back to the place you tried the horns, dont look at the model or anything, just play. If you pick the 43 as best, good, if you pick the 72, even better because now you know that you like the 72 when playing blind. Give it a shot, try the same with different bore sizes on the same model, like ML and L for a 43. See what you like when you dont know what you are playing.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a Bach (229H-CL modified by me) and a Monette Prana3 Bb. I use/need them both. I did not buy either "blind"

3. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    I would save up for a Monette, then go and actually try one out to see what 'monette' is all about. I like the 'concept' of Monette, however, like you said, I may not like the sound. This way, after trying it out, if I do like it, I got the money saved, if I dont, better for my bank :D

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just for the record, a Taylor is a better Bach. It is nothing like a Monette. Andy Taylor agrees with me. I talked to him at length about this at a music fair a couple of years ago.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Taylor is the BEST brand I have ever played, but I have never played a Monette. Taylor has the coolest horns and mouthpieces with a great sound.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My post about Bavarian women had them pulling the plow, not driving it. The trumpet is like the ultimate plow: response, intonation and sound are very important. We are both the driver and puller, and rowuk's comparison to mates is spot on. My idea of beautiful might personify your idea of ugly--whether it be regarding trumpets or mates. A good thing in the end, both for our species and our art.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I am sure most of the "standing wave" gurus don't understand that either -- a standing wave, a longitudinal wave, etc. the basic ingredient for the trumpet (valves down ROFL ROFL ROFL) is that a certain amount of energy is needed (in air, or vibrations on the lip -- however one may like to explain it) --to overcome the nuances of the horn design and all the factors (material, shape, bell, valve block, etc) that contribute to energy loss in the course of playing the darn thing, -------------IN MY OPINION, THAT IS!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
    ps - I don't suggest ingesting ENERGY drinks to enhance the horns playability -- just play the horn!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  8. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Only way to hit Fortississississimo.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know VB, I got that as well. My point is, there may be virtue in having musclar thighs beyond just pulling the plow. As a physician, I try to find good in many aspects of the human form, and as for what we find as beautiful or ugly, I think we may be on the same page in that category... Jennifer Aniston... definately a beauty, but would not likely be able to drive a plow.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yet I'd clean her toes off afterwards, same as a good horse.