bore sizes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jan 15, 2015.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    What players lean toward a ML bore trumpet, and what players find they are more suited to a L bore trumpet? Does it have anything to do with their physical makeup?

2. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    Doe

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Most have no idea what bore does and just go on the incorrect assumption that a large bore instrument is freer blowing. There are some that confuse bore size and testosterone level. They get what they deserve.......

Bore size becomes an issue when playing professionally, not because of the free blowing part, rather because of the palette of colors available when we have superior face and body control.

An artisan can build a free blowing small bore trumpet if that is the goal. I think that the bore discussion is a major waste of time as it says nothing about the playability of an instrument.

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bore Size is incredibly overrated

5. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, and sharing your knowledge.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Songbook,

To give you an example - most people know Maynard Ferguson could blow the doors down. Most would expect his horn to be an extra large bore. In the 60s, when I believe he did some of his best playing, he was using a Conn Connsetellation -a small bore- think it is about .448. Huge sound. Bore is measured at the second valve tube. There is a lot of other tubing in a horn too that makes as much or more of a difference. The leadpipe can make a big difference.

7. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Point in case -

Conn 6B/38B - .438" small bore, large 5 1/8" bell - open, free-blowing
    King 1117SP - .462" medium-large bore, large 5 1/8" bell - very open, free-blowing
    Conn 15A - .484" extra-large bore, standard 4 7/8" bell - medium/medium large feel

Note: please don't draw the conclusion that bell size is the indicator - it is one of many, many other features (including flare, taper, materials, etc.)

8. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    So am I right in assuming that if I play a second line G regardless of bore size, my sound will be the same? If this is not the case, how will the bore size effect the sound?

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    You can't meaningfully discuss single design factors in isolation like this. An instrument's characteristic is the sum of ALL its parts. The largest bore Bb instruments you commonly find these days are probably the modern BBB cornets. But they're mild sweet-natured little things. Not the wall-shaking, face-eating vacuum monsters some would have you believe a large bore implies.