bore sizes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jan 15, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I lean both ways, as I play a wide range of bores, and quit honestly, the bore is the last thing I was thinking about when I got all of my horns.

Very little if at all. In fact I find the real ability to embellish notes comes from the mouthpiece. I have a rather small bore Kanstul flugelhorn 0.421, yet can color and embelish notes better than on my large bore 0.460 Getzen flugelhorn, primarily as a result of a very deep french horn tapered Flips Oakes 3 WT that I use on that horn. Man you can spin air, hold on to it and whisper sweet nothings into the air puff before letting it go into the horn.

2. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    gmonady, I've had days when sweet nothings came out of my horn, but not the way yours do.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'd guess about the largest bore ones are the old Conn cornets that were made up through the early 1970's. Most every cornet they made (other than the trumpet-shaped ones) were .484 bore, even the student Director model. They play like most other smaller-bore instruments, though, not like a black hole that takes all your air...:lol:

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    True that,Dale;-):oops:

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well one of the questions is who plays what.

The symphony guys generally play larger bore horns. Every other genre is wildly mixed. There are sizzling large bore horns and very dark ones too. There are sweet and raucus sounding medium and medium large bore horns.

We don't buy our "next" horn on specs. We buy it, preferably with a second set of ears that we trust for very personal reasons. Vulgano Brother has often posted "the horn picks you" - not the other way around. I couldn't agree more!

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I've heard this of perinet C trumpets but Bbs? rotaries?

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yes, When I compare my historic rotary trumpets,to current offerings from Monke, Thein, Schagerl, Dowids, Kühn and the like, I realize how MUCH the bore size has increased -at the expense of a reduced color palette. Rotary trumpets used to have a full sonorous low register, clear midrange and brilliant highs. The vowels "colors" that come to mind are a, ä, e, o and ö. Perinet and the current rotaries have a consistent sound from low to high that is somewhere between o and u in color.

The large bore, bracing and lack of bell needing a crown have a lot to do with this. The artisans would be stupid to build anything else. They would go bankrupt. There is also a requirement to be able to switch horns in a short period of time. All of that has led to the current state of things. Basically Bruckner on a modern rotary is not considerably different than with a perinet counterpart.

8. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    I have been playing the same trumpet (along with many other horns over the years) since 1959. And I have no idea what the bore size is. I wonder how many others are in the same boat.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Whenever this subject arises, there's an awkward little question comes into my head: "Why do I find my LB instruments - the Wild Thing and Alpha C - easier to play than the rest?"

I'm sure it has little to do with resistance. I'd class them both as 'moderate' - certainly not as open as the Sovereign.

Various theories, but nothing more watertight than the other old wive's tales. One of life's little mysteries I guess.

As Frank would have said "Shut up 'n play yer guitar!"

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    A good question Seth, maybe Ivan can shed more light on the subject, my own take is that they are put together with more care and attention to detail than the bulk of mass produced horns. My 1949 Olds Super Recording the notes just seem to fall out of it.

Discussing this with my repairer once, he recounted of a Bach Strad that the owner was convinced there was something wrong with, he could not find anything wrong with the usual things, so with the owner's permission took the bell and leadpipe off and reassembled without tension, the owner was very pleased with the result. I have noticed with some of the horns I have dismantled there is a distinct movement when the solder of a brace is heated to the point when it lets go. Food for thought.

Regards, Stuart.