Bossa Nova

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kenandtati, May 11, 2005.

1. kenandtati

kenandtati New Friend

Mar 24, 2005
    Just getting back into the trumpet after some years off. I finally got my horn in the mail (used Blessing B135, I'm really happy with this horn :D ) I really want to start playing some bossa nova (brazilian jazz) and was wondering if anyone knew of any books that I should look into. It is really great sounding stuff when you throw in all the drums and the guitars.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey man, just check out some of the tunes in a realbook/fakebook. There are tons of bossa's that are standards, Blue Bossa, etc.

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Bossa Nova etc

Ken,

Speaking as a Brazilian... now American...

If you really like Brazilian Jazz, then you should check out some of the pop artists from 70's to present. Let me know and I'll send you a list of artists to pick from. :-)

Rogerio

4. kenandtati

kenandtati New Friend

Mar 24, 2005
    My wife is also Brazilian, from Rio, she has given me a couple of names, like Jobim and Jorge ben Jor but she really only listens to the new stuff. Hopefully when we go to Rio next year :D I can pick some stuff up but I would really appreciate it if you could get me some names so I can try to get what I can now.

Thanks,
    Ken

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Brasilian Jazz

Ken,

Very cool that your wife is Brasilian... I'm sure you'll understand when I say I know you have your hands full with our "drama and emotional" side. My wife finds it both a blessing and a curse.... :lol: I too am from Rio... came to the states when I was 9. I've been back only twice, 1977 and 1982. In 82 I was in both Rio and teaching trumpet and performing in Brasilia.

I've been very lucky that my family here in the US has kept our culture very much alive since arriving.

I would be more than happy to burn you some CD's. Send me a PM with your snail mail address. I'll also send you a list of artist.

I'm going back in September... taking my wife with me for her first trip.

Take care.

Rogerio

6. kenandtati

kenandtati New Friend

Mar 24, 2005
    I sent you a pm.

7. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    Claudio Roditi, etc.

Why not check out Claudio Roditi? He's based in NYC, according to his bio, but was born in Rio. He has a nice Freddie Hubbard sound with a nice Brazilian touch.