Boston University Trumpet Ensemble

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John P, Jul 19, 2006.

1. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
  2. impaulm

impaulm New Friend

Apr 20, 2006
    Mesa, Az
    That was a piece written by their Prof. Terry Everson (sp?) for NTC this year, It is obviously a very challengeing piece technically and musically. I think the name is "Idea Number #". Cant remember the exact number. They played it fantastically... Twice!

Figured I should add: There is no "easy" part for that piece. Each player must be prepared to play their butts off!

3. skuni

skuni Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Variations on a Theme by Paganini

4. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I think it was Idea #5, don't quote me on that, but it was Idea No. ?, a fantastic piece to listen to, and I'm sure just as fun to play.

5. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I can't stop listening to it!

6. kmm0805

kmm0805 New Friend

Jul 20, 2006
    Boston, MA
    The title is "Idea #24" and was written for the 2006 NTC by Terry Everson. It is based on Paganini's 24th Caprice. I have to say that this was one of the hardest yet most rewarding chamber music experiences I have ever had. Not only for the monster piece Terry composed, but also for the 4 other incredible players I got to work with!

7. gregtrum84

gregtrum84 New Friend

Oct 19, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Hello, I am a student at BU and study with Terry Everson.

The name of last years NTC trumpet ensemble piece is "Idea Number 24" by Terry Everson. It is a variation on a Paganini Caprice, as was noted in an earlier post. I was under the impression that the specific caprice he arranged was No. 24 (hence the title) but I'm not an expert on Paganini so I don't know.

Terry currently owns a small private publishing house called TREverson Music. He has "Idea Number 24" for sale there as well as many other of his own arrangments and compositions. His arrangement of "There's a Great Day Coming" was featured on the "New York Legends" CD featuring Phil Smith.

He is always looking for more attention and sales for his publishing company so I'm sure he won't mind my shameless plug for his work.

Check out his website for contact info:

www.treversonmusic.com

The catalog is a little out of date, but contact Mr. Everson and I'm sure he will be happy to send you a copy of "Idea Number 24".

Hope this helps!

Greg

[/url]

8. gregtrum84

gregtrum84 New Friend

Oct 19, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Guess Kevin beat me to it.

Hope your having a good summer man!

Greg

9. kmm0805

kmm0805 New Friend

Jul 20, 2006
    Boston, MA
    HA! Beat you Greg :-P

10. impaulm

impaulm New Friend

Apr 20, 2006
    Mesa, Az
    I must say that listening back to the performance, I am sorely disappointed in the playing of Kevin Maloney in particular. I was led to believe that he was a player of high caliber and integrity... How sad...

Paul Mueller