Botti's Tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Jan 26, 2012.

1. centerofaTONEment

centerofaTONEment New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    There are a lot of posts about Chris Botti on here. But I was wondering if anyone had any idea of how Chris gets his unique flugel-like sound. Ive played ton of Committees but none give me a sound like that. And I dont mean to toot my own horn but my tone can be considered as velvety and dark as it gets.

As always just wondering.

2. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You can start with his mpc, a NY 3 with a 9 hole, certainly no smaller than an 11. His approach, pretty much the Adam school, and his practice regimen is legend. I think pretty much Botti's gonna sound like Botti because he's Botti and you're center of a tonement

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    EdMann kinda hit the nail on the head. He's Chris Botti! I don't think even Chris can explain it. I see it kind of like Roy Hargrove on flugelhorn...what a sound! Just crazy!

Speaking of flugels....wouldn't it be great to hear Chris play a flugel? I can only imagine that sound....

Kujo

4. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    1% horn + 2 % Mouthpiece + 97% Bottti= Chris Botti's sound.

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Botti has a fab horn and can play soulful. As far as horn goes my '56 LB Committee is comparable in tone. I'm experimenting with mp's. It sounds so good. It is original condition. No dents. 90% lacquer. So I believe it possible to get the sound, as soon as, I find the right mp. I don't aspire to be Botti.
    I like great horns to practice with though.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    First.. I really enjoy listening to Chris Botti
    and I am speculating here but I believe he uses some signal processing .. well I know he uses delay but if it were me I would probably compress it a bit and use some dynamic EQ .. another hunch ..the sound seems to indicate it....
    as if he was trying to recreate the sound a trumpet would get in an old Cathedral.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I keep trying to tell you guys that you can't just play a horn for a little while and assume that that it is the way it sounds. Over time, you learn the little things that are important. The sound that we hear is more of a sense of style than the frequency response. You think that his sound is dark because of the way that he does not always push his horn to the point where the brilliance starts.

It is STYLE and not equipment. It is STYLE and not frequency response. The microphone does not need massive EQ and reverb. The biggest help is not having to play as loudly to fill the room. Loud always gets brassy.

Chris Botti has a well supported, solid sound and his playing shows an exceptional command of himself as well as the instrument.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am with you on the tone production as far as his control goes Robin. He really has a delicate attack and brings the horn up in such a way it doesn't break loose.......................................... but he also uses effects :)

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Are you talking about the throat? No body plays a #9 throat on a trumpet mpc.

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    He may be referring to Warburton's throat numbering system, not the standard numbering system.