Botti's Tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Jan 26, 2012.

1. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yes. Not Warburton bbore, the throat.

2. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Botti recordings are all pasteurized cheese. If you want to sound like Botti find a studio magician. You'll get that instant smooth/ex lax jazz tone.

Rowuk brings up the point that one doesn't need to worry as much about projection when utilizing a studio. One can use much less energy to capture the sound with a close mic scenario.

Mr. Rowuk also brings a good point that one doesn't need to push hard to the point of greater brilliance...I simply love that blatty, spitting nawlins brassy sound so I tend to blow my chops out quickly...

Horns can sound sweet but I prefer them to sound loud and rude like a punk rock ensemble. One way to acquire a darker more rounded tone would be to try using a deep v cup mouthpiece.

Currently I have the Warburton 5XD top with a 5 backbore...It's very seductive. The V cup mouthpieces seem to help round out the tone. Relaxed breathing is the big factor in controlling tones.

If I could learn how to relax I might play a heckuv -a- lot better.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey! There's B.C. ...... Thought you had gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Thanks for another fresh perspective on trumpeting. And WHY shouldn't someone be able to sound like a (sic) punk rock band (loud and rude are unnecessary adjectives, we know what punks sound like) with their trumpet? :dontknow:

BTW, we're having a Botti Concert at the Turtle Shed ...... you are definitely invited .... Feel free to swim in the MOTE. :cool:

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    BC, you need to add to your sig "Cheese Lover". If you've listened to "all" his music, you must really love cheese (or be from Wisconsin). ROFLROFL

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Hasn't anyone considered his selection of music to play, possibly even with a key signature change from what we may know, although I concur that a lot may be going on in audio engineering that is proprietary and unknown. Still, it certainly helps to have skill and top level equipment.

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Chris' tone is very natural. The electronics come from the Sting days I think. The mic gives it that nice echo ( I have used the same setup myself ). The electronics can't " make " a nice tone through. Chris played my Committee without any mics about 2 feet from my face. You can see my Committee in my gallery right after Chris played it and signed it. Judging from the massive responses to " Chris Botti is Awful ", I think we all have the picture now. BustedChops has lost a lot of respect if he/she ever had any in the first place.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know about anyone else. After a bout with ex-lax, my tone is anything but pasteurized or smooth. Actually, in that state it reminds me a lot more of punk music - splatty, uncontrolled, limited range.

You can reduce your need for ex-lax by learning to re-lax. Take a couple of yoga classes. Could be the beginning of a more appreciative life free of musical prejudices.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You might also be a lot happier and find it easier to be content with your own Botti-bashing thread rather then compelled to spread your readily-apparent discontent into this one. It would be so much easier to like what you like and share some joy instead of pouring all your energy into disliking and being driven to expound on it because it is so uncomfortable to contain.