bottom register articulation and beatiful sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetnick, Nov 19, 2006.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Manny,

The thread about the high soft entrance made me think of a problem I had recently in my orchestral practice. We were playing the Symphony No 4 by Mendelson where I was playing second. In the Last movement I had some tonguing problems...when doing low register tripple tonguing it is generally fine but when playing the symphony excerpt I was getting in trouble because of the silence between the first two crochets....any suggestions? The sound was not perfect either...but pretty sure it was not equipments fault. I included both the excerpt tonguing excerpt and the tinguing which is not problematic.

Attached Files:

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Try this articulation, Nick:

T, T TKT T, T TKT T, T TKT T, TKT TTKTTK TTKTTK etc.

During the silence you must stay open and not close off because that will tie you up in knots.

ML

3. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I tried first T, T TKT T then T, TTK T but both were somewhat problematic....I will look further about throat closing which seems to be the main cause...I always thought that the throat closing is linked rather to high register but it seems there is exceptions. Do you think that opening the jaw more than in the middle register may be causing an articulation problem?

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    There's really no way for me to know, Nick.

ML

5. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I shoul have known this....One of my teachers at Royal Northern College of Music, John Miller in this kind of problems were often saying to me: "It is up to you to find out"...or " You are are fully grown man or something similar....Though he was right it sounded sometimes very funny and if you add to this his scottish accent...Hope he won't get mad on me to read this ROFL
    Well, I suppose that it is up to me now :bash:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Nick,
    I used to double and triple tongue very forcefully in the low register and that limited my speed to a very great degree. It wasn't the throat tension, but the big fat tongue in the way! One of my teachers noticed and made me practice a very light tongue-almost legato (dg dg and ddg ddg instead of TK TK and TTK TTK). My speed went way up. After that, I was able to apply a little more "force" to get a more defined separation.
    This is still the first thing to dissappear when I don't practice it regularly.

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I've had this sort of difficulty too. What works for me is to not let the tongue move too far. Keeping the TTK motion as small and efficient as I can usually helps. Good luck...

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What horn are you using? If using a Bb, check where you've got the 3rd valve slide. You might be trying to lip the note into tune and tongue at the same time, and that is really hard to do. Maybe kick it out more (or less) or try it on your Spada C, just make sure you place the note where it belongs.