Bottom sprung / Top sprung Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Is there an advantage of bottom sprung vs. top sprung valves? Do all flugels utilize bottom sprung valves?

OK, no reply needed! Found the info on a previous post!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

My Yamaha YTR 2310 student grade flugel was made with caged top sprung valves that are spectacular if I use Hetmans synthetic valve oil.

OLDLOU>>

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Is there an advantage? Not if the instrument is built correctly, engineered so that wherever the springs are, the pistons move easily (when oiled).

As Old Lou pointed out, his flugelhorn has top-spring valves -- my Phaeton flugelhorn has bottom spring valves.

My Bb trumpets are top-spring, my D/Eb Yamaha is top-spring, my Yamaha Picc is bottom-spring.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I called a local repair shop and was told that bottom sprung pistons are considered
    "old school".
    Do not know exactly if he meant better or worse. But as long as the design is properly executed, I would guess it makes no difference.

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Bottom-sprung valves are found more often in low brass instruments and in some flugelhorns these days. They used to be the standard for trumpets, but top-sprung valves pretty much knocked them into oblivion. One big advantage I've found to top-sprung in similar instruments: they're much quieter. They also give you fewer loose parts to worry about when you're washing the horn.

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    The major reason that instrument manufacturers went to top sprung valves in horns with small diameter valve casings is the cost of broaching the long guide slot for the guide pins on the valves of bottom sprung valves. Top sprung valves can be made with very short guide slots because many of that design have guides that move over the spring cage or along with the spring, while the piston moves independantly of the guide.

The best valves that I currently have are in my Conn 2B, New Worlds Symphony trumpet and my Conn 36A, Concert Grand cornet. They are fantastic. I have many other top and bottom sprung horns that go from the ridiculous to the sublime. It all depends on the quality of the machining and valve lapping.

OLDLOU>>

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Having never played a horn with bottom sprung valves, are they considerably noisier? The valves on my Getzen trumpet are insanely quiet!

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    All my trumpets and the cornet my SIL has, are top sprung. only bottom sprung horn I have is my flugle, and yeah, it's noisier than the trumpets.....Buck:oops:

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    So, how do you like the Selman horns? Sound? Quality?

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have several with bottom-sprung valves, including a Conn and my Olds flugelhorn. They work fine and are no more noisy than the top springs.